Shadows Of The Past

Passion was more conscientious of Shade being able to keep up this time. Her flight was a bit gentler, and she performed little loops and twirls in the air. Shade kept watching her, terrified that maybe she would snap. How could he get her to take the risks seriously?

"Uh... Passion?"

"Hm?"

"Do you..." he paused. "Do you know anything about Darkstalker?"

"Mmm, not really."

"Can I tell you about him?"

"I don't mind. I like stories," she said, flipping through the air again. "Go ahead."

He took a deep breath. "A long time ago, there was a dragon named Darkstalker. He was a Nightwing and Icewing, and he was an animus like his father, Prince Arctic. He... he used his magic too much and he was trying to take over the Nightwing tribe, become its king."

Passion scoffed. "There aren't any kings that are in power. That's the queen's job! In all the tribes!"

"Well, Darkstalker wanted a throne for himself." he shivered. "He killed his own father, no, he forced his father to kill himself. And what's even scarier is that no one knows what stopped him in the end. He disappeared. I know that some believe he's still alive. That he gave himself immortality and is just hiding, waiting for his chance to take over all dragons."

Passion dipped her wings a little to bring her closer to Shade.

"Why are you telling me this?" she asked, eyes fixed intently on him.

It made him uncomfortable. He swallowed hard.

"Because... because, well, animus magic can be dangerous. I know that even the Seawings had an animus that went insane, Albatross. He killed almost all of the royal family. It's just that... that using your magic can make you lose your soul. And I don't want that for you."

"Come on, Shade, you don't really think I'll lose myself, do you?"

Shade didn't answer. He knew exactly what he thought. It didn't matter if she was using it for good, using her magic would damage her soul. She needed to listen to him. But she was so stubborn, how could he even make her listen?

"Don't worry about it! Everything will be okay! I promise!"

She did a little dive, before flinging open her wings and catching a strong wind that tossed her up high into the air. Shade watched her but felt a lump forming in his throat. He did not succeed in getting her to take this seriously. This worried him, though he couldn't really explain why.

"Come on! We have talking scavengers to talk to!" Passion trilled, spinning through the air.

He sighed, following his friend. He'd just have to keep reminding her.