chapt 13 | the rodeo

A few days have passed ever since the awards dinner, and Cole and I have hardly talked.

I felt horrible. I know that it wasn't my fault- at all, but I still felt like shit that he hasn't spoken to me.. "you okay?" Jackie asks and I shake my head, "I can't believe he hasn't talked to you still," Grace comments, shrugging. "Are you guys still together?" I nod.

"As far as I'm aware.." Jackie frowns, "I'm sure there is nothing to worry about, try talking to him today at the rodeo!" I nod, "sure."

I go into my closet, grabbing my hat and placing it on my head, "alrighty, how do I look?" I ask, walking out of the closet as if I was on a cat walk.

Grace smiles, "oh my god you look hot!" I laugh, "thanks?" "She's right you look hot," Jackie nods.

Her fit :

"How can Cole possibly ignore you today?" Grace says, looking me up and down, "I know right! He has to talk to her now!!" I laugh, "okay, I am running away now

"How can Cole possibly ignore you today?" Grace says, looking me up and down, "I know right! He has to talk to her now!!" I laugh, "okay, I am running away now." I say, running out the door and down stairs.

Katherine spots me running down, "look at you!! You look adorable," she smiles, "coffee?" I nod, "sure why not."

I take the cup from her hands, "thank you." Nathan walks in, "morning mom." "Morning sweetie, did you take your meds today?" Nathan sighs, "you don't have to ask me everyday mom.."

"I know- I know.. I'm sorry," the door bell rings, I go to answer it but Nathan stops me, "that should be Skylar, I got it," I nod, stepping back into the kitchen. Katherine smiles, digging through her mail and just like that, her smile fades.

"Are you oka-" Skylar and Nathan rush back in, "we're going to the fair mom, I love you," "hi Doctor Walter, bye Doctor Walter!" "I told you to call me Katherine Skylar!"

"Okayy Doctor Katherine," I laugh, walking after them, "did you charge your phone Nathan?" "Yes."

"Okay, thanks for looking out for him," Katherine tells Skylar, "mom!" Nathan complains. He walks out, "thank you" she whispers and Skylar nods. She turns to me, "have you talked to Cole yet?" I shake my head, "did I do something wrong?"

She grabs my arms, looking directly into my eyes, "of course not, this is his own decision, try to talk to him today. I'm sure he will respond." She winks and I laugh. "Okay, I should go," she nods and I tip my hat, she laughs and turns to go find George just as I leave.

***

I walk around, kicking at the dirt, I have been here for an hour and can't seem to find Cole. "You good Mackenzie?" "No I can't find Cole-" Jackie points behind me and I turn my head. Cole. Staring right back at me nervously. I thank Jackie and quickly walk over to Cole, "hey."

He gulps, "hey Kenzi," we sit in silence. He sighs, "I'm sorry- I really shouldn't have been mad at you when it was my fault, I'm the one who chose to show up drunk.." I smile, "I was never mad at you Cole, I understand why you were upset," I walk up to him, wrapping my arms around neck. He places his hands on my hips, "this is why I love you," he whispers.