Chapter Five

Soft golden rays streaming in from the window announced the new day. It was too early to be awake, but the sound of curtains opening and Mum jumping on the bed jolted me from my sleep. She pulled me into her arms and planted a kiss on my crown, holding tight as I groaned. Dad stood at the end of my bed and chuckled.

"I can't believe the day is finally here," Mum said, locking me in her grip. "My second baby is finally an adult. I'm so proud." She sniffled, turning to look at Dad. "When did we get so old?"

"I couldn't put an exact date on it," Dad said, sitting beside her. "But I think it had something to do with having children."

"Don't blame us for how boring you two are," I teased.

Dad scoffed. "Life is never boring in this family."

Mum jumped up from the bed and went to my dresser, pulling out some clothes and tossing them at me. "Go have a shower. I want to get some nice photos of you today."

I groaned and flopped back down onto my pillow, covering my face with the jeans she had just chucked over. Mum practically skipped around my bedroom in excitement, while Dad just smiled at her in amusement.

It didn't take long for Mum's good mood to become contagious, though, and I soon found myself bathed and dressing in my favourite pair of jeans, fur-lined boots, and a black long-sleeved top. My hair, allowed to hang loose for once, fell in soft waves past my shoulders.

Looking at my reflection, I couldn't stop the small smile as the excitement built up within me.

Today was the day.

I would finally receive my tribal markings. Every mark was unique, designed to fit the person destined to wear them.

There were only a few more hours until my allocated ceremony time, and as the clock ticked down, my stomach rioted with nerves. The breakfast that Mum prepared went uneaten, even though the eggs benedict smelled heavenly.

My siblings distracted me for a while, making a big deal out of the birthday presents they'd bought. Aeverie had used her pocket money to buy me some new training shoes, and Ryen gifted me the new book I'd been wanting to read for ages. I gave them both a big hug, which Mum used to her advantage, snapping several photos of the rare moment on her phone.

A knock at the door caught everyone's attention, and Dad opened it. Varl stood there with a rectangular parcel wrapped in yellow paper and a massive grin plastered over his face.

"Beta Garrick," Varl nodded at my father.

"Varl, come in." Dad stepped out of the way so Varl could enter, greeting the rest of my family.

"Happy birthday, Fox." Varl passed me the present. I tore into it, revealing a sharpened dagger resting in a bed of satin.

"Wow, Varl." I lifted the weapon from the box, examining it. "This is beautiful."

It wasn't a new blade – there was wear on the handle from being gripped – but that only added to its beauty. The blade itself was made of Damascus steel, and the straight cross-guard was just large enough to make sure my hand wouldn't slip down onto the sharpened edge. The pommel at the end of the handle was carved into the head of a wolf.

"Every warrior needs a trusty dagger," Varl said.

I gave him a hug. "Thank you."

"Don't even mention it," he replied, squeezing me tightly before letting go. "Just take good care of it."

I turned the blade over in my hands again, humming in adoration over the weapon. "I will."

"Here." Dad passed me another clumsily wrapped parcel, and upon opening it I found a handmade leather holster that fit the dagger perfectly, my initials monogrammed onto the pouch.