08: "Fire"

"The Lab Experiment"

It was the last lesson of the day, well the last lesson of the school year actually. The teacher prepared an experiment, apparently it was going to be 'fun', let's just say it didn't turn out to be so fun as she thought it would be.

"Aren't you excited?" Mikaela whispered to me as the teacher handed out robes and eye protection

"Of course I'm excited," I grinned, "I jsut have this feeling in my gut that something bad will happen."

"Loosen up," she smirks and nudges my shoulder

We wear the equipment and start doing the experiment it's was going great honestly! I was having so much fun.

"Ok now, the best, but most dangerous part," the teacher grinned as she took the light out of her pocket. She looked unhinged. Her grin was huge. Something was going to go wrong. Extremely wrong.

"Mikaela run," I scowled

"What?" She questioned me as I took her hand

"Mikaela run!" I whispered in her ear as I started to run with her wrist in my hand

Thank god she listened and we got out just in time. The room caught fire, as I looked through the window I saw the teacher just standing there, smiling as a tear fell from her eye.

It was terrifying.

But a second later I saw Lukas. In the middle of the flames. Something went off inside of me and I ran back in the classroom. I could hear Mikaela shouting at me to come back but I ignored her. I don't know why I did it but I just did.

I ran into the room, I could barely breathe from the smoke, I jumped across the flames and tried to find Lukas, I eventually saw him in the corner of the room. He looked scared.

I grabbed his wrist and ran out of the room, dodging fires and people. I don't know what got in my head to make me do that, but I did it.

"Lukas are you ok?!" I asked him as soon as we got out of the room

"Yes I'm fine-" he said but stopped talking and stared at me

"Lukas what's wrong?" I worry

"Marie, Marie we have to go to the hospital. Right now," he looks at me with panic in his eyes

"Why are you not well?" I ask him looking around his face for a sign of anything

"No Marie, Marie I'm worried about you," he whispered and picked me up while running to his car.

"W-what do you mean?" I asked him, feeling lightheaded

"Shut up," he told me while putting on my seatbelt

"I can put on my own seatbelt you know," I grunt, my head pounding

He got in the car and started driving. I couldn't remember anything after that.

"Hospital"

I blinked my eyes open. The bright light blinded me as I sat up. I was in a small room, it was mostly white although there was a blood bag next to me. What had happened?

"H-hello?" I muttered, "what's going on?"

I could voices from outside but I couldn't make out what they were saying

"Hello is there anyone there?" I said, louder than before

The voices from outside stopped suddenly and the handle to the door started to turn.

"There's no way," I heard a man say as he and Lukas entered the room.

The man was a doctor, he was old, in his 60s maybe. He wore a white gown and a stethoscope around his neck, typical.

"Marie!" Lukas cried, his eyes swelling up from tears, "Marie don't do that ever again."

"I feel fine what happened?" I ask him

"Don't you remember the fire?" Lukas asked me

"What fire?" I wondered

I looked into his worry filled eyes, then at the small burn under his cheek, I sat there for a moment, wondering.

"The fire, the lab experiment," he held me tightly as I tried to remember

"Fire, fire, fire," I ran my hand through my long silky hair, "Oh- oh my god the fire! I remember!"

Lukas's eyes relaxed and he let out a long breath

"The letter"

It's been a hard few months since I was at the hospital, my burns calmed down and there were now only a few scars on me. Although Mikaela still babies me because apparently I'm not healthy yet.

"Mikaela I'm fine," I groaned as she cleaned my wounds once again

"I don't care," she muttered

"Mik-" I started to say but before I could finish Lukas burst inside and started screaming

"THE LETTERS ARE BACK," he screamed as he gave them to us

Mikaela squealed as she ripped it open and started reading.

I smiled as I opened the letter

"Dear Marie Carlton,
We are pleased to inform you that your exam scores are back and you passed will a phenomenal grade, although first, we shall inform you that our new school will be in a different city, we will personally arrange your train but you will have to pay for your ticket, you will not have dorms but you will live in an apartment (we will pay 20% of your rent)
Back to our main subject, your exams. We have carefully marked and analyzed your papers.
Your final result is:
89%
An outstanding score"

"OH MY GOD," I screeched, "I GOT 89!!!"

"Oh wow!! Congrats Marie!" Mikaela hugged me

"Wow that's so good Marie," Lukas smiled

I turned bright red in that very moment, unwillingly of course why would I blush at Lukas? I was just really hot because of Mikaela.

Right?