July 14, 1865

Mama passed away some time in the night. When I woke, I could hear Papa sobbing from the bedroom. The baby stirred next to me, soon to be squall in for his breakfast. I felt the tears pricking at the back of my eyes, threatening to fall.

. . .

July 15, 1865

We sat vigil with Mama till the next morning, after which the service was held that afternoon. We all wore black, even little Eddie, who wore a long, black gown. The woman two doors down had tied black satin ribbons in my hair. Afterward, I tied them around a rose from one of the arrangement. That night, I put it in my little box of treasure to keep.

"Jessa, my dear," Papa told me as I was readying myself for bed. "Your mama wanted me to give this to you." Into my outstretched hands he placed a tiny silver locket on a long chain, slender and oval, about the size of my thumbnail.

"Oh, Papa, thank you." And for the first time since mama's death, he smiled.

Later, as I lay in bed, I inspected the necklace more closely. On the back I found a simple engraving, my initials and the year. Across the front was a miniature scene of swirls and tiny flowers. Depressing a small button at the bottom, the locket sprung open to reveal three ovals, each bearing a picture. First Papa, then Mama, and finally, little Eddie.

Before long I drifted off to sleep, my fingers gently tracing the delicate patterns.