CH 25: The Awful Truth

A little while later, Kosuke gradually awoke. He glanced at his phone, noticing with a tinge of disappointment that he had only managed a brief doze. "Not even a full quarter-hour," he sighed, pulling himself into a sitting position. A sharp headache greeted him, likely a side effect of the gummy, but he was relieved to find the nausea had passed. "Well, that's one less thing to worry about," he noted.

Kosuke shifted, trying to find comfort again, but restlessness took hold, his mind too active with anticipation for the next game. His stomach, seemingly in agreement with his wakefulness, let out a loud, insistent rumble.

"Might as well grab something light before I return." He thought as he emerged from the tree's shade, heading towards the nearby food vendors. 

Despite the throbbing headache and the cacophony of festival sounds amplifying his discomfort, his hunger drove him forward. Amidst the bustling crowd, he found an open vendor and ordered a tantalizing Takoyaki skewer garnished with special mayo, aonori, and bonito flakes. The aroma alone was enough to whet his appetite.

Seeking a quieter spot to enjoy his snack, Kosuke noticed several benches along the stadium walls. Choosing one, he sat down to savor his skewer. The peaceful setting allowed him to relax and attempt to ease his increasing headache.

Once finished, he was about to stand up and return back, but the sound of familiar voices caught his attention. Intrigued, he subtly moved towards the conversation's source. Now scooting at the end of the bench, he could hear Midoriya and Shoto talking near the exit he had used earlier.

They were leaning casually against the walls, seemingly deep in conversation. Kosuke edged just enough to keep them in view, tuning his ears to their words amidst the festival's distant clamor. He knew eavesdropping wasn't ideal, but the pull of his curiosity was too compelling to ignore.

Shoto's voice was steady, almost contemplative, as he confessed, "I was overwhelmed, and it made me break the promise I made to myself a long time ago." There was a weight to his words, a burden that momentarily hung in the air.

"Iida, Kaminari, Yaoyorozu and Tokoyami, Uraraka - none of them felt it. At that moment, I was the only one who could sense your true power. It reminded me of something... experiencing All Might's quirk."

Izuku's response was jittery, the nerves clear in his voice. "O-Okay, I-Is that all?" he asked, his words trembling.

Shoto's gaze was piercing as he clarified, "I'm saying the power from you felt the same as All Might's."

Kosuke felt his heart skip a beat. "Could he have pieced it together?"

"Midoriya, tell me..." Shoto pressed, his voice grave, almost accusatory, "...are you really All Might's secret love child or something?"

Kosuke, from his hidden vantage point, struggled to stifle a chuckle. "Really, Shoto? That's quite the leap." He shook his head, amused at Shoto's logic.

Izuku's face went into shock before his words tumbled out in a hurried mess, "NO! NO! THAT'S NOT IT AT ALL!! BUT I GUESS IF I WAS I'D TOTALLY SAY I WASN'T SO YOU PROBABLY WON'T BELIEVE ME NO MATTER WHAT I BET! A-ANYWAY I PROMISE YOU'VE GOT THE WRONG IDEA!!"

Shoto, unmoved by Izuku's fluster, continued methodically, "'That's not it at all' is interesting wording. It suggests there is something between the two of you that you're not supposed to talk about."

The air grew heavier at the implication.

"My father is the hero Endeavor. You must've heard of him, which means you're aware that he's the number 2 hero... so if you're connected to the number one hero, All Might, in some way, that would mean I have more reason to beat you." Shoto's voice was steady, revealing a deeply personal motivation.