Tarrance's Trials Part II

That conversation with Kerrie had just about turned Tarrance's world upside down by the end of it. It hadn't helped that it started as an emotional rollercoaster either. Those words, "...I know what you did..." froze the very blood in his veins before he could even contemplate the full weight of them. And what it meant for Kerrie to be there saying them to his grandmother and him.

Thankfully, his grandmother was there or else it might have been a disaster.

"What are you talking about dear?" she asked her with a gentle but confused smile. A façade Tarrance knew but so did Kerrie. His grandmother obviously understood exactly what she meant.

"I won't turn you in. I wouldn't dream of it," Kerrie tried to assure them urgently. An assurance that clearly didn't quite hit the mark as she reached out to them, and they flinched back despite their intentions. "You saved everyone; you don't deserve whatever it is they would do to you if the truth ever came to light."

Tarrance's throat had gone dry at those words, a swelling of emotion rose within him, a pressure he hadn't felt in such a long time. A thousand different feelings warred within him, anger, sadness, grief, relief. He felt raw and exposed. A maelstrom of emotion that even he couldn't trust in that moment.

"I promise you; I have no idea what you mean my dear," Maria tried again while pointedly ignoring Tarrance's reaction and the tears that were running down his cheeks freely.

"No, I promise you that I mean you no harm," Kerrie urged his grandmother to believe her, something desperate tearing in her voice that even Tarrance could hear in the state he was in. "You have done so much for the village, even before the sickness. Maria, you've taught me so much and Tarrance you are always there should anyone be in need. You are good people; I know that deep in my heart. And I don't care what any would-be preacher, or bishop, or witchfinder might say otherwise."

That was enough to strike his grandmother as mute as Tarrance was himself. Not one to leave an opportunity to waste Kerrie surged on.

"I promise I want to help you, to protect you as you have done for all of us" Kerrie promised them with her eyes pleading with them to believe her. "I'd do whatever I can to pay you back for all you have given us. If I ever could do enough."

"What you are saying is dangerous Kerrie," Tarrance was finally able to croak out the words through his turmoil. "It could mean death for you."

"And your magic doesn't mean the same for you?" she hissed back at him in exasperation.

Neither his grandmother nor Tarrance could think of an argument against that. Or gather their wits long enough to deny the 'accusation' anymore.

"Besides, I am already in danger," she admitted quietly and the way she staggered at the admission it seemed as if she was only just admitting it to herself for the first time. "The witchfinder was watching me, you saw it. I know he suspects me of something and that's all it'll take."

Ironically, her admittance of that reality helped Tarrance collect himself more and start to believe that she was earnest in her promises. If she had tried to hide the danger she was in, or the attention she had garnered, then he might have suspected her of being a wolf in sheep's clothing. Sent in to destroy them, he and his grandmother, from the inside.

It was clearly a suspicion that Maria had from the first and Tarrance doubted it would be a suspicion that would disappear for a while yet.

"Alright," yet she still was the one that had accepted her help. "I don't know what we can do really, at this point, but we accept your help."

"Thank you," Kerrie bowed her head hiding a smile and even though the whole weight of everything seemed to grow heavier on Tarrance's shoulders that same weight seemed to lift from Kerrie's.