Chapter VIII: Some Things Never Change

It felt like an eternity getting out of the building and back to the TARDIS. Once inside, Rose squealed and high-fived the Doctor. He seemed amused by her excitement and accepted the high-five, although it felt deeply unnatural to him. But he was glad that, so far, the plan was going the right way - which hardly ever happened.

"Right Rose, get back into your other clothes - I hope you're ready for some climbing!"

Rose, who was already on her way into a the room she had changed in previously, called,
"Always!"
as she ran off.

The Doctor didn't hesitate getting changed back into his usual attire.
"That's more like it."
He said with a sigh of relief when he was finished getting dressed.
Rose ran back up on deck soon after and hung out of the console in her velour tracksuit, hair back in a ponytail. It looked more her, definitely.

"Y'ready or what?"
She asked. Eyes full of life, she was ready to go.

The Doctor developed a more stern, serious expression.
"Rose just... you should know, this is going to be dangerous."

She looked at him, puzzled.
"I know. That's what I like about travelling with you. It's dangerous. It..."
She sighed wistfully.
"It reminds me I'm alive."

His expression softened. He looked at her fondly as he was reminded of why he loved travelling with her. She lit up his dark world with her undying enthusiasm. But it meant she could get in trouble. Easily.
"I just don't want you getting hurt. Especially not because of me."

She took his hands in hers and looked up at his face with her big brown eyes. Her expression brimmed with trust and admiration.
"I don't doubt for a second that you would't let me get hurt. I trust you with my life."

The Doctor's heart melted inside his toughened exterior, although he didn't let it show. His face stayed stern, but Rose noticed tiny details that suggested she had succeeded in putting his mind at ease: his eyebrows relaxed slightly; his jaw slackened; the creases in his forehead lessened.

"Plus, mum'd kill you if something did ever happen to me."
Rose blurted to lighten the mood. She knew the Doctor wasn't good at showing how he truly felt, and didn't want to make him feel uncomfortable with all these outward displays of emotion.

"Out of all the species and creatures I've ever encountered, Jackie Tyler is my biggest fear."
He said with a cheeky grin.
"Oi, watch it! That's still my mum you're on about!"
Rose laughed with a mock-stern expression as she jokingly punched his arm.