Prologue

I have told myself that I am a monster more times than there are stars in the universe. I have been called killer, murderer, cold-hearted, manipulator, assassin and many more. I do not deny those names. They are rightfully mine. Just like the memories of their eyes, filled with fear, hate, pain, despair. I carry those memories everyday as I continue to slit throats, cut tongues and disembowel my victims.

I have given myself to the dark side since I was born. I would not step in the light. But they were miracle workers. They drew me out into the sun, encouraging me to glow. They called me a hero, while I called myself a monster. They believed me, when I didn't believe myself.

And him. His green eyes enraptured me the first time I laid my gaze upon him. He too called himself a monster. A different kind of monster, but a monster nonetheless. He would never have trusted me, as I would never have trusted him. But standing back to back, we trusted each other to not plunge a knife into each other. I was all shadows and he was all lies, but when met with the sun, shadows disappear, and when met with the truth, lies too, vanish.

So I willingly take the leap of faith into the light, praying that behind all that shadow and lies, I can find the object that is me, the object that is casting the shadow. I used to be one-hundred-and-twenty-three, but now, I am no more.