bamboo you

August 14th

-Lisa's pov-

I grabbed my phone and called Hannah.

"Hey gurl, what are you up to tomorrow?" I asked her.

"Not much planned yet. Want to grab a few Mojitos and go swimming at the lake?" she replied.

"No, actually we're going to Hungary. Once we get there, you'll understand. We have to drive there now. Sorry if you hate me," I said.

"What am I supposed to do in freaking Hungary?" Hannah said, not amused by the situation.

"Help me get Billie back," I said confidently.

"Girl, you're so delulu. I'm done with this Billie bullshit," she said.

"Do I have to remind you of the shit I did at the beginning of last year when you and Jacob broke up? Please don't call me delulu, girl. We are going," I retorted.

"What time will you be there?" she asked.

"Half an hour."

"I hate you, Lisa."

"Love you too," I replied and ended the call.

I quickly packed all my stuff and loaded it into my car. Then I drove to Hannah's place to pick her up. It took us a little over 2.5 hours to get to Budapest where the Sziget festival was taking place. I brought a giant cardboard with me, and we started brainstorming in the car what I could write on it to make Billie recognize me in the crowd.

After some time, I decided to write "I bamboo you," since she would surely associate it with our surf trip. I really wanted this to work. I was perturbed about tomorrow. 

We had to be at the venue very early to get the barricade or at least be close to it. We woke up at 6 a.m. and headed to the venue. We waited in the heat all day.  

The people queuing with us were super nice though and talked a lot, even asking about my sign. I didn't know what to say, so I just told them it meant "I love you" in German, and since they were all Hungarian, they believed it.

Finally, around 3 o'clock, they let us into the stage area. We sprinted as fast as we could and made it to the barricade. I was so happy because that meant she would probably see me. OR at least I would get to see her.

I got increasingly nervous, and it was only 3 p.m. The heat was starting to make all of us feel weak. After watching Girl in R.E.D. and another artist I didn't know, Billie finally came on. I had never seen her perform live before, so I enjoyed it a lot. 

At the same time, it felt strange because I knew we were on holiday together, had a physical relationship, and had developed feelings for each other and now she was up on stage being admired by thousands. I can't even imagine what it must feel like for her to be standing up there.

She started her performance with Bury A Friend and the crowd went crazy. I just stood there, somewhat stunned, because I had to remind myself that Billie was Billie Eilish, performing in front of thousands of people. 

I was surrounded by 16-year-olds losing their fucking minds, sobbing uncontrollably, and screaming her name. Stange world. Cool but strange. I felt old though.

It was overwhelming I have to admit. I wondered if she would even notice me with so many faces all looking at her, screaming and crying.

Perhaps I was wrong, but I think we made eye contact for a split second at the end of that first song.