C H A P T E R 2: sticks.

"Mason, can you call your brothers and sister in please. Tell them Mommy finished cooking dinner and if we finish early we can all watch a movie and drink our favorite hot chocolates." Momma says, plating and placing the last plate of food on the counter. 

I look out the sliding glass door we have, the one that lead straight to the backyard, where everyone else is playing. 

"Really?!" Mason, one of my older brothers, asks excitedly.

"Yes, now hurry up before the food gets cold. Auty, Daddy and I will set up the dinner table. Isn't that right, dear." Momma says, catching Daddy's attention.

Daddy was too busy painting my nails, as I giggle at his shocked expression, like a deer caught in headlights. I was sitting on the counter with both my hands out as he sat on the tall chair, white nail polish brush in hand. 

He quickly puts on a warm smile before replying.

"Of course dear, just let me finish cleaning our little Auty's nails. Isn't that right Auty." My giggles turn into laughs as he closes the nail polish before tickling me.

"Y-yes papa..wait! Stop- that tickles! You're gonna ruin my nail polish!"

He smiles before picking me up and placing me on the ground to go hug mama from behind. 

"Thanks for making dinner, Honey." He says, before kissing her cheek and picking up the last plate of food to put on the dinner table in the next room.

I watch mama as she looks at papa with warm, dreamy, eyes before those warm eyes land on me. 

"Let's go go help daddy set the table, sweetie." She says putting her hand out for me to grab, a warm, caring smile on her lips. I go towards her and take her hand.

I look behind us, to that glass door. Seeing my siblings play, run around.

Seeing them happy.

I smile, before looking at how soft the snow looks. How slow they drop to the ground, how snowflakes start to attach to the glass door.

Feeling happy and content.

                                                       ...

I watch the snow fall as I walk back from the hospital, on the way to my one bedroom apartment downtown. It's a twenty minute walk from the hospital. I need to go change before my night shift at the diner.

2:00 pm

I can't help but think about how soft the snow looks, how slow they drop to the ground. 

How similar it looks, and feels to that comfy christmas day I'd spent with my family all those years ago.

I wonder if they still spend christmas like that, just- without me.

I miss the way mama and papa would look at me. Like I was special to them, like I was someone they cared about.

It's not like it matters, right now, anyway. They hate me, now.

I think about how I'll be spending christmas this year. Probably working at the diner as always or updating my food blog.

It's the only thing I have that gives me comfort. My safe place..cooking...

Once I finally arrived at the front door of my apartment, I search through my bag for my keys before noticing that someone's moving into the apartment next door.