Chapter 6 - Returned, but not Sane

"Talking"

("Whispering")

"Thinking"

"SHOUTING"

"Singing"

"Person 1/Person 2"

.

.

.

Time : 5:35 AM

Date : Wednesday, April 24th

Setting : Living Room

-~-~-~-~-~-MEGAN'S POV-~-~-~-~-~-

I woke up unexpectedly, a bit earlier than usual. I heard an alarm ringing, but I didn't have my phone on me. I left it in my purse. Wait...that's not my alarm though. I felt Melanie moving a bit, so I looked over and saw her pull out her phone. Looks like it was Mel's alarm. At least I have some more time before I gotta head to work. That, and now I can hang with Mel for a few more minutes before she leaves. She yawns and struggles to find the remote to turn off the TV. Me, who apparently slept with my glasses on, found it and turned it off. We both got up and decided to leave the fort where it was. We both decided to just talk for a bit while we had breakfast and take advantage of the time we have.

ML : "So! Any exciting news for your job?"

MG : "Oh! Well..."

I wanted to tell her about it, but I didn't want to get in trouble at work. So, instead, since she still thinks I'm doing these crazy cool experiments with animals, I decided to go with Second, since it's the most exciting thing for me today. But of course, I changed up the story a little bit.

MG : "Well, for a bit of backstory, a year or two ago, the lab found an abandoned Sun Conure nest with two eggs. They brought them back and decided to raise them."

ML : "Wait, Sun what?"

MG : "You know, the orange parrots with the yellow and green wings?"

I pulled up a picture for her to see.

ML : "Ohhhh! Those birds! Okay okay. Go on."

MG : "So, one of the birds was okay but the other one....unfortunately died."

ML : "Oh...then what happened?"

MG : "Well, they named him..."

MG : "Oh shoot. I'm terrible at names! Well, I guess..."

MG : "Sam. The one that survived. They've been trying to rehabilitate him ever since he hatched. I met him once on my first day, and now I'm gonna be working with him! They said he has strong claws. Let's hope he doesn't get stuck on me, or we might as well have a pet parrot hanging around with us!"

It was a good cover story, and so was the joke. She laughed a bit as I put my toast on the plate.

ML : "Hehe, well. I hope not. I already have one animal to take care of!"