♡ Interview Six - 'Darlin' by @lizaalewis

Interviewer: Eiraobsessions_

Interviewee: lizaalewis

♡ ♡ ♡

Author bio: E.L. Lewis is a multi-genre romance author whose books guarantee an unforgettable reading experience full of heart, humor, heat, and happy endings. With stories ranging from mafia to rom-coms, new adult to young adult fiction, she has a book for every mood. When she's not dreaming up characters and plots, she enjoys reading mushy romance books, listening to T-Swift on repeat, cheering on the Kansas City Chiefs, arriving far too early at airports, and scrolling through Netflix without ever actually watching anything.

Story title: Darlin'
Logline: When Savannah Kingsley's runaway little brother joins the notorious Sons of Sorrow Motorcycle Club, she is hellbent on bringing him home. Leaving the comforts of her Alabama estate behind, Savannah travels across the country only to come face to face with Jesse Paxton, the vice president of the SoCal Chapter.

Premise/Blurb: When Savannah Kingsley's runaway little brother joins the notorious Sons of Sorrow Motorcycle Club, she is hellbent on bringing him home. Leaving the comforts of her Alabama estate behind, Savannah travels across the country only to come face to face with Jesse Paxton, the Vice-President of the SoCal Chapter.JP only cares about three things: his bike, his bar, and his brothers. That is until Savannah turns his entire world upside down, one darlin' at a time. With a brother who refuses to come home, a deathly gorgeous biker as her new roommate, and a handsome DEA agent breathing down her neck, Savannah's glamorous life just got a little bit more complicated.

♡ ♡ ♡

What inspired you to write this book?

This book was inspired by watching Sons of Anarchy and absolutely HATING the ending. IYKYK. So, I figured that since the TV show ended on such a devastating note, that I would write a version of an MC romance with a happily ever after. Fun fact: This story was originally supposed to be a dark romance! However, as soon as Savannah opened her mouth, I knew we were going to subvert the genre and make it a rom-com!

What was the inspiration behind the main character and their love interest?

The main character in Darlin' is Savannah, and she is a total Southern Belle. She's a pageant queen and very much the epitome of whiskey in a teacup. Her love interest, Jesse, is as brooding and grumpy as they come, but he's got his own quirks and a unique sense of humor, which make him a perfect counterpart to the equally witty Savannah. Together, they're sunshine and rain, both lovely and magical in their own way. The inspo for Jesse was obviously Jax from Sons of Anarchy— think Charlie Hunnam but brunette. I thought it would be hilarious to see how a beauty queen and MC vice president interact, putting Savannah in a fish-out-of-water scenario. Spoiler: she fits in just right.

Do you have any favorite romance authors on, or off, Wattpad that inspired you to write romance stories? Feel free to name up to three people and some of their favorite books!

The first two authors I read on Wattpad were Avery Keelan and Ami Speare, both of whom inspired me to try my hand at writing. About a year into my writing journey, I e-met, Jessi Hansen, who writes heartwarming and emotional romances, and she's become my bestie 4 lyfe. Outside of Wattpad, my reading habits are all over the place. I don't actually have a favorite author, someone I'll constantly read. It really depends on my mood. TBH, recently, I've just been reading a lot of Dramione fan-fic.

What were some of the most challenging elements you came across while writing the story? How did you overcome them?

Traditionally, Motorcycle Club romances are dark, so when I decided to write an MC romance that was on the lighter rom-com side, I had to make sure that I still captured the elements of bikers without watering down the danger too much. While Savannah and Jesse are banter galore, I made sure to include scenarios often found in the MC genre but made them more accessible.

Is there a chapter or scene that you didn't make the final cut? If so, describe those here and share with us why they weren't kept.

Surprisingly, no. Everything I write tends to make it into the final version. Down the road, I might add one more chapter to the end, with "Pink Glitter" being the penultimate chapter versus the final.

What is the key message you hope your readers will take away from your story?

I think the key takeaway from Darlin' is not to judge a book by its cover and that family is not always blood, it's the people who accept you and love you for who you are.

Do you have any advice you can share with aspiring writers of romance? 

Write, write, and don't stop writing. Sometimes, authors tend to get in their heads and overthink. If a story is meant to be, then it'll find a way to be told. A few tips I have is to keep track of character details and side characters- you never know when you can bring that pesky barista back! Outline your story, even if it's just loosely— it helps you stay on track. And don't be afraid to throw away your entire outline if your story runs away from you, usually, this means it's running towards something bigger and better!

If you had to choose your favorite romance trope, what would it be and why? 

Enemies-to-lovers all day, every day. I love the angst and slow burn. Plus, enemies-to-lovers tend to have the best banter.

Thank you so much for your time! :)