1. Beginning of a Story

My parents were so mean to me, always critiquing me about everything and treating me like a servant, as well as forbidding me to speak unless they ask me a question. They didn't teach me about how to live life, to keep me dependent on them. As much as they hate me, keeping me, their only child, with them makes them feel powerful.

The only friends that I have are the plants I keep by my windowsill. I long for an actual garden, but neither of my parents would want me to have something that makes me happy, even something that wouldn't disturb or bother them in the slightest.

Still, even so, with things as bad as they are, I have hope, and that's something that I will never lose, no matter what. I have hope for a better future, for a better present. I have hope that my parents will learn to love me, and maybe they will someday—once I show them that I'm worthy of loving.

I have hope that I'll be able to make friends, have people that will care about me, way more than my parents ever had.

Hope is the one thing that keeps me going. Without hope, I'll have no reason to keep trying, instead of letting the darkness consume me. I'll have no reason to keep on living, not without hope.

***

"Spring Meadows!" came the call of my mother's booming voice. I've always preferred to be called just Spring. Especially since my full name is only ever called in a tone much louder than it should be.

I tensed up and slowly walked out of my bedroom on my hooves. My mother was in the living room, seething. I didn't want to face her wrath, not today. Not on the sunset summer celebration. Today is such an important day for every pony.

My mother narrowed her eyes at me. She looked a lot like me—well, I look a lot like her, something that she absolutely hated. I gulped. Did I do something wrong or was she just angry and wanted to take it out on me?

I stayed silent, waiting for my mother to say anything. She merely stared at me, eyes filled with hate. "You are to stay inside during the celebrations. Have I made myself clear?"

I lowered my head. I should've expected this. Of course I wouldn't be allowed to have any fun or have the chance to make any friends. Of course not. Why did I think this year should be any different, just because I'm a young mare? My parents shouldn't still control my life. But I didn't have anywhere to go, and I wouldn't make it by myself.

"Have I made myself clear?" my mother repeated and I flinched back and then nodded. That seemed to satisfy her. "Good. Now go back to your room. I don't want to see you for the rest of the night."

I nodded in understanding, willing myself not to cry in frustration. I walked back to my room and closed the door. I sighed and looked out of my window.

That's when I realized something.

I can hope all I want that something will change, but nothing is going to change if I don't do anything to make it change.

I walked to my closet and grabbed a simple brown shawl, one that covered my face. It was so simple, that surely my mother or my father wouldn't recognize the outfit.

I waited to hear the door open and close. I knew that my parents will be gone for the day—and for the night, really. I put on my brown shawl and and walked out of my bedroom and out of the front door.

I felt a rush. I was both scared and excited. I began running, not looking back. Today was going to be my day.