Chapter 23

The group of dragons landed outside one of the many caves that branched off inside the palace. Sunny landed on an outcropping above the main hallway, clinging to the side of the rock and staying as still as she could.

She couldn't see into the cave from where she was, and she didn't dare lean forwards.

"Out." she heard Scarlet say.

"This is my room." Peril's voice snapped back.

Oh no... What are they going to do to my friends?Sunny thought, just as Scarlet spoke again.

"I am the queen here. You do as I say. Go sleep in the arena. If anyone else tries to sing, burn out his tongue." she growled.

She couldn't see Peril's reaction, but the silence said enough. A moment later, Peril stormed out, passing underneath where Sunny was hiding.

"In here." Scarlet barked, shoving Starflight into the cave, and out of Sunny's sight. Tsunami and Clay followed shortly after, leaping over what sounded like a pool of water from all the splashing. Soon, the only dragons in her sight were Scarlet (who still looked a bit lop-sided), Burn, and the guards that had escorted them all there.

"You will not interrupt my feast again. I'm sure you're very amused with yourselves." Scarlet hissed.

"Why don't you kill them?" Burn said, in a voice that sent shivers down Sunny's spine. The massive SandWing shifted on her feet, her talons making an ominous clanking as they hit the rock. Her barbed tail swept through a pile of ash on the floor, setting off miniature explosions of what looked like charcoal-coloured mist.

"Because that wouldn't be fun." Scarlet replied, "I want to see them fight. We have a whole day of entertainment planned for tomorrow. It's my hatching day! I want it to be thrilling."

Sunny watched as Burn gave the SkyWing guards a glare, and they retreated out of earshot.

Burn lowered her voice, and spoke again. Sunny couldn't make anything out but the last two words. "... kill them."

Oh no. Sunny thought, panic seizing her. I have to do something.

But Scarlet looked doubtful. "Well. Perhaps... But that didn't work out so well for you, did it? Everyone knows about the SkyWing egg - all the SkyWing eggs, in fact."

Sunny almost breathed a sigh of relief at the implications, but then realised what had been said after, and worried about that last bit. What does she mean? What happened?

"On the contrary, that worked perfectly. They don't have a SkyWing, do they? Only four dragonets - the prophecy is already incomplete." Burn said, her tongue flicking in and out.

"And yet." Scarlet sighed. "Our ignorant subjects are always yowling about the dragonets who are going to save the world. They believe in it, no matter what they've heard about broken eggs. If we kill the dragonets now, out of sight, it does us no good. Even if we hang their bodies from the palace walls, no one will believe it's them."

Burn bared her teeth, "The world doesn't need a prophecy." she spat. "It needs me as the queen of the SandWings."

"But listen." Scarlet said smoothly, holding up a talon. "If we put the dragonets in the arena, everyone can watch them die. They'll see how weak they really are. They'll lose all their faith in the prophecy. It'll all be over. Much more powerful than making them disappear, hmm? Don't you agree?"

"And what if they win?" Burn growled.

"They won't." Scarlet said confidently. "But of course, killing them ourselves is a solid backup plan."