five

The treehouse was tall. Aimsey loved treehouses, they were filled with life, and usually simple enough to carve out and install a bed and chest into. The balcony at the top of the ladder had a perfect view of Area Unknown, and every gorgeous sunset the nights had to offer. She felt that this was the perfect home for her, in every universe. You really can't go wrong with the classics, can you?

Treehouses are also very versatile, they're as easy to leave as they are to make, so they're great for travellers with readied backpacks. They can also be easy to expand, and since the earth is very deep, many levels of basements can be added as needed. Now, Michela resides inside alongside Aimee the very same tree the duo planted together when they were children. A fresh-out-of-the-oven sweet smell filled most of the floors of their home, and they were at peace. Aimsey hoped to do some exploring later in the day, perhaps interacting with Guqqie as well. Michela was looking forward to a game of cards and homemade tea that evening. Both of these plans came to an abrupt halt when the eldest demon made his presence known in the Overworld. A slight hot breeze wafted through the open windows at the opening of the portal.

Michela looked up at her roomate, a confused look on her face, "What? What's wrong? Did I burn it?" she asked, referring to the cherry pie she had freshly made.

"He's here." Aimsey stated simply, a blank look on their face. Getting up, they donned their shiny diamond armour and placed every weapon and leftover potion from the duo's chests into their inventory.

"Oh. Fuck." Michela mirrored, her face contorted with anger, surprise, slight excitement, and suppressed nausea. "Leave me at least a sword, will you?" She said, peering into the empty chests. As if coming to their senses, Aimsey took off a couple pieces of weaponry for their friend to use, and placed the iconic lavender axolotl bucket hat atop Michela's head.

"What do you want to do?" Michela asked, peering at her friend through her peripheral vision. She knew how stressed it made Aimsey to think of her home, and was worried what might happen when having to face it, head on. The brunette remained silent, looking around frantically, but always avoiding his friend's gaze. His hands flapped and shook timidly, and he began tapping his thumb against the pads of his fingers to calm himself, rocking by the heels of his feet.

"I don't know," xe whispered, xier voice shaking with tears, now sitting on the floor. "I don't... know."

"It's fine, it's okay. You're okay, see? You're home, you're safe." Michela shushed, taking a seat next to her roommate. She wrapped her arms around her friend, gently rubbing their knuckles, and taking off the heavy helmet from their head. The trees outside the windows stood still, their leaves silent. The sun beat down on the grass, slowly turning it's fresh green to a dull tone. Inside the treehouse, Aimsey's tears dotted the plaid rug on the floor with small holes. After a minute of this - worry, fear, and comfort - he stood, and faced his friend on the floor, "I'm ready."

"Are you sure?" Michela asked, retrieving the helmet and standing too.

"No, but let's do it anyway."