Luka

My name is Luka, and I am immortal. I have lived for more than six thousand years, but I still remember the day I was born. It was a cold winter day in the year 4000 BC, and I was one of the first children to be born in the pile dwellings around the Alps.

The pile dwellings were wooden houses built on stilts over the water, to protect us from floods, wild animals, and enemies. They were also a source of food, as we fished and collected plants from the lakes. We were a peaceful people, living in harmony with nature and each other. We had a simple culture, based on farming, pottery, weaving, and metalworking. We worshipped the sun, the moon, and the stars, and believed in the cycle of life and death.

I was a curious child, always eager to learn and explore. I loved to swim in the lake, climb the trees, and play with the animals. I also had a knack for making things, especially tools and weapons. I was fascinated by the bronze axes and daggers that some of the traders brought from faraway lands. I wanted to know how they were made, and how they could cut through wood and flesh so easily.

One day, when I was about ten years old, I sneaked into the workshop of the smith, who was the most skilled metalworker in our village. He was away, and I saw a pile of bronze ingots on his table. I decided to take one and try to make something out of it. I found a stone hammer and an anvil, and started to pound the metal. It was hard work, but I enjoyed it. I felt a strange connection with the metal, as if it was alive and responding to my touch.

I was so absorbed in my task that I did not notice the fire that had started in the corner of the workshop. It was caused by a spark that had flown from my hammer and ignited some dry straw. The fire quickly spread, and soon the whole workshop was ablaze. I panicked and dropped the hammer and the metal, and ran out of the door. I looked back and saw the flames engulfing the building, and the smoke rising to the sky. I felt a surge of fear and guilt, and wondered if anyone had seen me.

I ran to the lake, hoping to hide in the water. I dove in and swam as fast as I could, away from the shore. I did not care about the cold or the depth, I just wanted to escape. I reached a point where I could not see the land anymore, and I stopped. I looked around and saw nothing but water. I felt a strange calmness, and a sense of freedom. I decided to stay there, and wait for the fire to die down. I thought that maybe I could start a new life somewhere else, away from the people who would hate me for what I had done.

I closed my eyes and let myself float. I did not need to breathe, I did not feel any pain or hunger. I felt a warm glow in my chest, where the metal had touched me. I realized that something had changed in me, something that made me different from other humans. Something that made me immortal.

I do not know how long I stayed in the water, but when I opened my eyes again, I saw a different world. The lake was gone, replaced by a city of stone and glass. The sky was filled with strange flying machines, and the air was thick with noise and smoke. I saw people walking on the streets, dressed in colorful clothes and carrying devices that flashed and beeped. I felt a shock of wonder and fear, and a curiosity that overcame my caution.

I swam to the shore, and climbed out of the water. I looked at myself and saw that I was still wearing the same clothes that I had worn six thousand years ago: a leather tunic, a woolen cloak, and a pair of sandals. I felt a pang of nostalgia, and a longing for my old life. But I also felt a thrill of adventure, and a desire to explore this new world.

I walked into the city, trying to blend in with the crowd. I soon learned that the city was called Ljubljana, and that it was the capital of a country called Slovenia. I also learned that the language that the people spoke was called Slovenian, and that it was related to the language that I had spoken in my childhood. I picked up some words and phrases, and managed to communicate with some of the locals. They were friendly and helpful, and did not seem to notice my odd appearance or accent.

I found a place to stay, a small apartment in an old building near the river. I got a job as a handyman, fixing things for people who needed help. I made some friends, and even some lovers. I tried to live a normal life, as much as I could. But I always felt a restlessness, a wanderlust, a need to see more of the world. I knew that I could not stay in one place for too long, or I would risk being discovered. I also knew that I could not get too attached to anyone, or I would risk being hurt.

I have lived in many places, and seen many things. I have witnessed wars and revolutions, inventions and discoveries, joys and sorrows. I have met many people, and loved many people. I have learned many languages, and many skills. I have seen the best and the worst of humanity. I have seen the beauty and the horror of the world.

I am still alive, and I do not know why. I do not know what is the purpose of my existence, or if there is any. I do not know if there are others like me, or if I am alone. I do not know if there is a God, or if there is any. I do not know if there is an end, or if there is any.

I am Luka, and I am immortal. This is my story, and this is how I came to be.