Chapter 1 - The beginning of hell

I can feel my skin burning.

My breathing is erratic and short. I've never known this was going to be it. 

The hospital is crowded with civilians, both normal and lifted people. I can't help but feel my vision blur from the pain. 

My leg feels like it's going to fall off. But I don't dare look down. I need to stay with Sam. I can hear more banging noises coming from outside. Followed by the cries of the ones that were hit. I try to get up and see what damage it might have caused. Until I'm met with a sharp pain going up my leg. 

oh

I forgot I was lying down in what seemed to be a makeshift hospital bed. Lined with a white fabric covering the multiple layers of pillows used to cushion me. Well, it used to be white fabric, as my blood practically covers the bottom end of the bed. More screams are heard down the hall as another bang is heard. 

I feel so tired. I move my head towards where Sam would be. 

Gods

Please be ok. I can't do this without you. You are all I have left. My only family.

I can feel my eyes well up with a liquid substance as my vision starts to blur. 

Sam: "Alex can you hear me!" 

I try shaking the tears away, quickly looking at the blonde blur next to me. 

Sam: "Alex please wake up!"

I can't help but chuckle at her remark. Not too long ago she had passed out from the pain due to her water breaking and the pressure that built up to her baby.

Even after losing her husband from the bomb outside of our house from those damned soldiers. She still fights for the people closest to her. Well, we didn't have a choice but to get in the car and leave him behind in the rubble. He was our only line of protection since he had left the army not too long ago to stay with Sam during her pregnancy. The only person with real combat training, yet, I was the one who was lucky to live through the chaos. 

It was the hardest decision she had to make, which crushed both of us. Even though I never knew him that well, it hurt to see her destroyed. Her one and only husband, soon-to-be father, was killed. 

Sam: "Alex cmon you have to get up," She says with sass and annoyance.

It doesn't sound like her anymore, she sounds more like a child. Like... a literal child?

???: "ALEX!"

I jolt awake, feeling my adrenaline run through my body as beads of sweat run down my face. The cold and damp air made my shirt stick to my body. It's probably my sweat considering what I was going through again. 

Another reminder of what happened years ago yet haunts me down to my bones. A nightmare that I don't think I would want anyone experiencing. Even my worst enemy. 

???: " Oh, are you ok? you were moving around a lot in your sleep" 

I look around trying to find the source of a child's voice. Only to be met with a small but recognizable cub.