CHAPTER 9

Shout-out: GratusSum for your unconditional love and support. Means a lot to me 🤗❤️
                    -----------------

Ava's POV:

“Want me to tell you a story,” Mom asked, breaking me from my reverie. I looked at her, but she was looking absent-mindedly outside the window.

“Laura, my best friend from high school. She was the most lovely and calm person. But she hated being bullied and will always stand up for herself and others. You know how we met,”? Mom asked, a small smile playing on her lips as if she were reminiscing about that time.

“That was the first day of my middle school and also hers. We both hate bullies, and there was this horde of stupid brats. They would bully anyone. That day, when I entered school, they approached me and tried to bully me, but of course, I fought back and when they knew that they couldn’t bully me, they gave me a dare,".

• Flashback:

Let’s see how brave you are miss I-am-not-afraid,” the queen bee mocked her while her friends snickered.

“You have to slap the first person entering through that gate,”.

She moved towards the gate, only to see a beautiful, girl around her age, entering school. She felt sorry, but she couldn't renege from the dare. Bracing herself and apologizing in her heart, she went towards the girl and…

“Whack”!

Tight slapping sound, echoed in the shrouding.  The other girl instinctively put her hand over her cheek and looked at her in pure shock. Poor girl gaped, wondering why she was saluted with a slap on her first day.

“Sorry! Don't take it personally,” Aroura said apologetically, only to get a tight slap in return. She gaped at the girl, understanding that she slapped her back.

“You too,” the girl said and went away. From that day, they became best buddies for life.

We both laughed as Mom reminisced her old time.

“Laura found her mate on her 18th birthday, and they both accepted each other right away. Everything was perfect, they loved each other wholly. After 6 years, they got married. Everything was roses, but little did she know that not everything was perfect as it was. Her mate was cheating on her with someone else. Laura will feel the pain every night, but she didn’t ask him anything,” Ava gasped at the revelation.

“One day, I asked her why she was doing this. She should confront him and reject him, as creating is not a mistake, it’s a choice, but she would always say, that love thrives through hope. And she hoped, one day, her mate would be completely faithful to her. She knew that he loved her, but she didn’t know what drove him towards other women's embrace. Every night she would suffer the same pain. Until one day she had enough,”.

“When her mate was driving with another woman, she took a knife and cut his mark on her neck. He felt the pain and came home right away. That night, she rejected him and left him. He pleaded, but she was gone. She went to the human world and started a new life. Got a second chance mate, he was human though.  They had a joyous life, a small house, and two beautiful kids. Everything was perfect when one day her second mate died, and she went into depression,”.

"What happened after that,"? Ava inquired with teary eyes. She can feel each ounce of pain Laura has gone through.

“We tried everything to help her, but nothing helped, she was suicidal. One day, her 16-year-old daughter found an old album and reached her first mate. After hearing everything, he drove there and helped her. He took her out of the darkness, accepted her kids, and took her back. After moving back to the pack house, Laura got to know that, after leaving her first mate, he also was in depression. Unknowingly, they both healed each other,” Mom said taking my hands in hers and giving it a gentle squeeze.