Chapter 3: The Forgotten Witch

Deep in the Dwarf forests, a hooded figure crouched over a glassy orb about the size of a cannonball, though much lighter and much more powerful. Ivory white mists swirled through the orb and every so often, a silver lining would float by too. The figure removed their hood and stared deep into the orb, apparently watching something or someone only they could see. They must have been satisfied with whatever they saw, because they stood up and walked purposefully towards the edge of the woods. For a normal person the journey would have taken hours or even days, but the figure seemed to glide along the ground at an incredible speed. Within minutes they had reached the edge of the forest. The hooded figure smiled as they read a poster pinned to a tree.

IMPORTANT NOTICE
Someone has vandalised many statues in the Fairy Palace. They are being offered the opportunity to turn themselves in. This will increase the chance of sympathy and a lighter sentence. Please come as soon as possible if you have information. You have nothing to fear.
Signed,
Emerelda
Head of the Fairy Council

The figure smirked and waved a hand over the poster. It dissolved into black dust. Then they laughed out loud at the council's foolishness. It was a horrible sound, and birds flew from the trees in shock. This only made the figure laugh louder. When they finally stopped finding the situation so humorous, they turned and glared daggers at the Fairy Palace and then, with a swish of their cloak, disappeared.