Chapter 15: Wonderfully Succeptible

"Are you done yet?" She snapped.
"N-Nearly."
"Good. I'm off to pay a visit to the wonderfully succeptible Chance Charming."
Her black-as-night cloak swirling, she receded into the shadows of the hut and melted into the darkness, leaving behind a small black rat which watched him intently as he worked.

"Hello? Can I speak to King Chance, please? Please, it's important." The young woman pleaded with the guard. She had flaxen hair in a plait, rosy cheeks and piercing green eyes. There was something off about her, something he couldn't quite place. Reluctantly, the guard agreed to escort her to the courtroom, where perhaps she could speak to the King.
"Oh, but it's rather more important than that. You see," she lowered her voice and leaned towards the guard as if conferring a great secret, "I'm here on business from the Fairy Council."
"Really?" The guard asked, not believing it for a second.
"Yes, really." She said seriously, her smile dropping. "Here, I'll prove it."

She raised a finger and her plain blue dress became longer, silkier, resembling the robes worn by lesser members of the Council, messengers for example. If that wasn't enough, iridescent wings unfurled from her back as she rose up and hovered a few inches in the air, and flowers bloomed in her hair. She drew a scroll from the folds of her robe and showed the golden ribbon - a clear symbol of the Council - to the guard. He nodded curtly, and she dropped back down, her robes shrinking back into a dress and her shimmering wings disappearing.

"Please, this way, Madam. I'll inform King Chance of your arrival."
"Oh, that won't be necessary." She waved a hand. The guard marvelled at how much more businesslike she seemed now. "If you just direct me, I can make my own way."
"But, Madam-"
"Which way?" She shot him a glare.
"That way, madam." He sighed, pointing.
"Thank you." She drew a small white package from her pocket and handed it to him. "Have a nice day."
As she sauntered away, he opened up the little cloth parcel to reveal a cookie. What a strange lady.

Out of sight, the lady grinned wickedly. She allowed her baby blue summer dress to grow into a smarter, more formal navy trousersuit and her flaxen hair to escape from her plait and turn a deep shade of copper-red. A blue-and-gold clipboard appeared in one hand and a quill appeared in the other. Satisfied with her new appearance, she walked briskly down the corridor to a door marked
Royal Tower: Living Place of Their Majesties
NO UNAUTHORISED ENTRY
Two guards were situated either side of the door. She waved her quill at them and they fell down, slumped against the door. She grinned again and knocked on the door. Footsteps sounded, and the door was opened by none other than King Chance himself, looking cross and disshevelled.
"Hello, your Majesty. I'd like to ask you some questions about Miss Bailey."