One

Wiskayok, New Jersey, 1994.

„Are you sure this isn't going to hurt?” Shauna shook her head, trying to erase the thoughts of fear that plagued her mind.

“Maybe a little. But for what it’s worth you should be grateful that we are not spilling more blood.”

“Why does it matter? I am your friend regardless of whatever nonsense you’ve read about in Seventeen.”

“Don’t make such a deal of it. I’m going to do it as quickly as possible.” Jackie took the knife into her hands. She placed it on Shauna’s palm and cut her softly. Drops of blood began to appear on her white skin.

“Now it’s my time.” She made a small cut on her finger and let the blood fall onto Shauna’s skin. Shauna couldn’t help but laugh while looking at serious expression on Jackie’s face.

“I, Jackie Taylor, a friend of Shauna Shipman swear on always being there for her and helping her in trouble, loss, good and bad times.”

“I, Shauna Shipman, a friend of Jackie Taylor, swear on always being there for her and helping her in trouble, loss, good and bad times. And also in losing her virginity.”

Shauna started laughing, again. “I told you, me and Jeff had almost done it. At least I’m closer to it than you. We need to find you a boyfriend, Shauna.”

“If you even dare to mention Randy Walsh, I swear I’m going to end our Blood Brothers thing.” They both started laughing. Jackie was first to say something. “Imagine that. Our little Smarty and the living version of Dumb and Dumber.”

They both laid at Shauna’s bed, still giggling and looking at the posters above.

“You really need to put some nicer pictures up here. What is that dying orange man even representing?”

“That’s from Alice in Chains and their album Dirt. You should really give it a try.”

“Oh, I can already say it’s too much noise. I remember when you showed me that band…what was it called? It was something with London and night or was it twilight?”

”You mean London After Midnight?”

“Yes. And it sounded so dark and broody.”

Shauna started searching through her CDs. She found it right under Jane’s Addiction and Soundgarden. “Maybe it is dark and broody as you say, but I still like it.”

Shauna’s mom called them both for dinner. And they both knew that she didn’t like to wait.

“Come on, goth queen, get up. Let’s see what my mom cooked this time.”

“She’s so good at soups and desserts, but meat is her weakness.”

“She better not hear you. Or else we’re both screwed.”