Two

"Darling, why aren't you eating more? You should really try my meatloaf."

"Thank you ms. Shipman, but I'm on a special diet. So only a salad for me."

Shauna took some greens and tomatoes into her bowl and started eating them.

"I will never understand today's
generation. Is it because of that damn Calvin Klein ad with that English girl... What is her name, Shauna?"

Shauna looked up. "You mean Kate Moss?"

"Yes, her. She's so skinny. I miss the 80s ,where models had curves and everything." Shauna and Jackie giggled.

"Don't laugh at me, you know it's true."

"Ms. Shipman, I should really get going. We have a tough day at school tomorrow and I'm already missing like half of my assignments."
Jackie stood up and left the table. She grabbed her stuff, hugged Shauna and quickly left the house. It was only Shauna and her mom now.

"Smart girl, isn't she? I don't think she has any assignments left to do, she just doesn't want to talk to me."

"Mom, she doesn't have anything against you, you're just paranoid again."

Shauna knew that her mom was secretly right, Jackie really didn't like her. She found her weird, esoteric and sometimes just annoying. But it didn't stop her from being polite towards her, as Jackie was spending a lot of time at Shauna's house.
"I have to do my homework now. We can watch TV when I'm over."

Shauna went upstairs to finish what she started hours before Jackie's arrival. She had some math and biology tasks left and she needed to finish them quickly as it was getting late and she was already yawning.
Suddenly, a shadow appeared on her window. Someone was outside.
It scared Shauna at first, but then she realised who it was. She saw a familiar piece of blonde hair.

"Get in before you catch a cold. Or before you fall and break your legs."

"Breaking your legs would be a very unfortunate thing to happen to a football player."

Shauna opened the window for Jackie, and she squeezed between the window rails to get inside the room.
"Couldn't you just get inside like a normal person?"

"That wouldn't be nearly as fun as climbing the tree to get into the highest part of the house. I always forget that you sleep in an attic." Jackie took off her jacket. She brought some snacks in a backpack that she threw across the room.

"Movie night?"

"Jackie, I really have to finish my tasks. You should be doing them too, you know how strict Mr. Kaysen is."
"When did you became such a nerd, Shauna? You can have a one bad night. Stop this nonsense and bring out the VHS player."