Chapter Six

"Lady Serenno." The frigid welcome met her as soon as she set foot on the landing pad, a stark departure from her expectations. Despite the presence of poignant memories, she frequented her home, relishing moments with her people as she immersed herself in the essence of her origin and planet.

"General Chrodber," she acknowledged with a curt nod as the man bowed before her. He fell into step beside her, evidently intending to escort her to Borgin Castle. "I sense things aren't going smoothly."

There wasn't even a need for one to be a Jedi; as worry was etched into the man's features, with a mixture of anger.

"If I may speak frankly—"

"Please, nothing but honesty," she interjected.

Given her current emotional state, she anticipated an urge to react aggressively, yet she restrained herself, mindful of her duty to her subordinates, especially on her own planet.

Custom dictates a dual leadership for Serenno, with a male and a female ruler. While Dooku held the primary position, their sister Jenza served as the secondary face of authority, for the time being. As the rightful successor, Leilani stood poised to assume leadership in any eventuality. Thus, she took the role dutifully, addressing her people with respect, striving to earn their regard. No matter how crossed, how frustrated she was, she always calmed down on Serenno.

"Count Dooku appears to be following in your father's footsteps, reducing the military presence by nearly half and replacing soldiers with droids. Many are losing their livelihoods, yet he appears oblivious or indifferent to their plight... And don't misunderstand me, I remain loyal to the Count."

"I know— But what caused my father's and brother's downfall was the exact same," she sighed.

She certainly didn't come here to talk politics — but there seemed to be no escape from it. Count Gora was rumoured to have cursed their world, no one could be better, lighter or different from him; and Dooku's moves were only a proof of it. It was often that the officials came to her for aid or even just advice. Somewhat hoping that she could talk to Dooku and change his mind. But she highly doubted that it would be possible now.

"I am afraid that the same fate will reach him," he explained, while opening the doors to the Castle for the woman.

"Well, at least he can't murder himself," even if it would serve him right.

However, entertaining the thought was one matter, while actively wishing for it to happen was an entirely different story. Despite the grief and sadness that crippled her heart, she let go...she had learned to let go many years ago. In the present moment, just as before, she wasn't seeking revenge. Her sole desire was to comprehend, to fathom the reasons behind what had transpired, to understand the what and why of it all.

She took an unsteady step toward the door, halting the General from announcing her in the main hall. It was unnecessary. Dooku must have detected her presence, just as she sensed his; his aura shielded, resistant to revealing his emotions, resisting her awareness. Nevertheless, she perceived it. There was no requirement to cross the threshold or lay eyes on him; she knew, she felt it.

"I'll attempt to reason with him. However, I can't guarantee anything. You're aware of how headstrong he is," she remarked, her hand resting on the shoulder of General Chrodber, his grey hair a testament to his years of service.

General Chrodber remained steadfastly loyal and trusting, perpetually striving for the welfare of the ruling family, including her own. However, his counsel often reached only Jenza and Leilani, failing to penetrate Dooku's consciousness.

Once more, the man bowed deeply as she pushed open the door, the creaking hinges echoing through the chamber. With measured steps, she advanced, bracing herself to confront a reality for which she could never truly prepare.