Chapter 2: Mia

I have to imagine that Brett had never woken to a girl so desirable and terrifying at the same time.

By the time Brett shuffles into the kitchen, I've plated scrambled eggs, bacon, and Pillsbury biscuits. I'm washing a few handfuls of blueberries when his image catches in the corner of my eye, shirtless and disheveled and severely hungover.

Despite himself, he shoots me a grin. "Good morning, sunshine."

I nod at the food on the countertop and make a point not to glance at his body. "Make yourself a plate. The Tylenol is at the table. I grabbed you a Gatorade, too."

After a few moments, I follow him to the dining table with my bowl of berries and a fresh scowl. He's nearly finished the bacon. He's also conveniently refusing to acknowledge his manager, who may be the only one more sleep deprived than me. Tony is practically foaming at the mouth. I'm impressed with his ability to stay mad after spending the night bailing Brett out of jail.

I take a seat beside Tony and across from Brett, hoping the arrangement feels like a parent-teacher conference or an intervention.

"Alright Brett, I'll lay out the public facts first, then you'll tell me what I need to know. And you're going to choke on a blueberry if you eat them that fast."

He does. I ignore it. 

"As of fifteen minutes ago, Splash seems to be the only ones with photos, professionally speaking. They've sold to a few outlets. A number of personal videos are circulating Twitter – X? Whatever. Those are getting more traction than the media.

"You were spotted being removed from the club just after midnight with Jasper. Both notably intoxicated. Fans on scene report that you were being cooperative as security ushered you out. "

Brett shifts uncomfortably.

"Witnesses also claim to have seen the Bells boy get ushered out with you. He allegedly threw his drink in your face –"

"That didn't happen."

"– then you socked him in the jaw and left."

"That part did happen."

This elicits a groan from Tony that is so guttural he sounds wounded. His head falls into his palms, fingers curled around the back of his skull.

I continue. "The rumors as they stand are nasty and the allegations are severe. People are claiming that the assault was unwarranted, unprovoked. They're calling you violent."

Brett is perfectly silent, his hands in his lap as he stares at the unfinished plate of food.

"Now, we have our ties with Senator Bells' team and we've already established that no one is pressing charges. The kid sounds like a shit, frankly. But we still have photos of a fight on our hands."

Tony's head drops to the table.

"Jasper left unaffected and, honestly, a lot of people have forgotten he was there. He's scot-free." I pause at my phrasing. Forgotten. For that loser B-lister, it's very telling. He will stay in content creation as long as he needs to, falling off early but riding the coattails of his success as a sellout. I can smell that from him even now.

Brett has a more promising future, as a man who is conventionally attractive and generally well-loved. He just needs to stay out of trouble, but problem A is that the man loves trouble.

"It's radio silence from you on all accounts for five days, maybe longer depending on the content that comes forward. We'll evaluate if a public statement needs to be made, but as a reminder, you are legally clear and we won't be publicly apologizing for anything as that's an admission of guilt. I've arranged for all contracted brand deals to be postponed for at least a week. That took hours – you're welcome."