Chapter 3

//A/N HAPPY BIRTHDAY Keelhauled! I hope you enjoy the chapter and have a good birthday<3 love you!//

I was already running late.

Really, it wasn't my fault. The Northern District of the Underworld is crowded, dirty, and suffocating. Wouldn't expect anything less from a city run by a Tyrant.

Since mortals can't teleport into the MCM Corp™ Headquarters like Gods, I have to go to The TRAIN. Or rather, The Transport Railroad Across Interdimensional Navigation. It's the only way to get to MCM safely.

I barely made it onto the TRAIN before it left. Always on time, never a delay- They swear by it.

I sank into the hard cushions of an empty seat, setting my bag down on the spot next to me. Each black double seat was angled facing the front of the car, filled with Demons, Spirits, Angels, Exanīnī, among other beings I couldn't identify.

As the train began rolling forward, I spotted a tall, pink Cyclops making her way down the aisle. When the woman reached my seat, she smiled nervously before speaking.

"Is this seat taken?"

I looked around. It seemed every seat was taken but the one next to me. I moved my bag to my lap, nodding.

"Of course."

The woman thanked me quietly, sitting down and putting her tote bag to rest on her thighs. She was wearing a MCM Corp™ Badge over her dark brown dress.

"Do you work for MCM?" I asked hesitantly, before I could stop myself from prying.

She smiled and nodded, "Yep! Multiversal Correction and Management, that's me!" She chuckled awkwardly, "Sorry."

"Don't apologize. I work for them too now. Today's my first day." I returned her smile, fidgeting with the strap of my bag as I spoke.

"Wonderful! You're going to love it, I promise. Oh! Where are my manners-" She held out her hand, offering a handshake. "I'm Cindy. I work as a Pharmacist and Scientist for MCM's Medical Branch."

I shook the woman's hand, withdrawing mine before she could notice how sweaty they were with nerves. I offered her a soft smile before responding.

"I'm Ronnie."

Cindy grinned, "That's a lovely name." She sighed softly, running a hand through her dark pink hair.

Upon looking her over once more, I noticed the Cyclops' unique eye. It was a dark ebony color, small dots of light glazing over the pupil as she glanced absently at the seats in front of us. She giggled softly as she caught me staring.

"I take it I'm the first Cyclops you've seen? We're not exactly a common species in the Northern District." She shrugged.

My face flushed red in embarrassment, and I quickly stumbled to apologize for my rudeness.

"Oh Gods, I'm so sorry-I don't-Dammit, I'm sorry," I stammered out anxiously. She shook her head, a smile dancing across her lips.

"Don't apologize. It's alright," Cindy giggled once more, tucking a loose lock of hair behind her ear as she spoke jokingly, "You're much less offensive than my husband was when I first met him. But, alas, we were children, so I can't blame him even if I wanted to."

I glanced at her right hand. There was a black obsidian wedding band decorating her ring finger. Her dark eye followed my gaze, smiling softly.

"It's pretty, isn't it?"

I nodded.

"William-My husband-surprised me with it at our wedding. We weren't going to have rings, because of financial issues, but he pooled together some money and surprised me with this. Isn't that just the sweetest?" She chuckled, twisting the ring around her finger.

I smiled, nodding along as she spoke.

"He sounds like a wonderful husband."

"He is."

The train came to an abrupt stop, throwing me forward in the seat and slamming my head into the one in front of us.

Ow.

"Shit," I grumbled into the crude pleather surface, sitting up straight and grabbing a hold of my bag. I gave a small, half-assed nod and wave of my hand as Cindy asked if I was okay before we both stood up and made our way through the crowded TRAIN.

She sent me off in the direction of the front office-before she herself went off to the hospital wing, which was located in a separate building. I trudged up through the dirtied white tile station of the TRAIN, emerging onto the busy streets of Dimension 001. It was there I caught my first glimpse of the MCM Corp building.

The building was completely reflective, save for the large neon sign that decorated the front entrance, very clearly labeling it. However, as I approached closer and closer, I noticed the small differences in the decoration of each floor. The decor ranged from murals, fancy tinted windows, posters, and more.

THE CREATOR has always been one for extravagance, I suppose.

Upon reaching the front door-a large, glass commercial door with small, almost phallic shaped handles (how prestige)-I entered the building and stepped over to the front desk.

"Hello! How may I help you?" The Elf sitting behind the front desk asked in a cheery tone, smiling kindly.

"Oh, um," I glanced around the room. It was similar to a convention hall, almost; with tall glass windows and sleek black couches, dotted with demons, humans, Exanīmī and more. It was clean and almost hospital-like, save for the portraits of the Gods that occupied the few walls without windows.

"I'm here for my, uh, job. I'm supposed to be a new assistant for Intērī." I responded timidly.

This job was sort of a spur-of-the-moment decision. After that retail store I was working at shut down, I needed some cash. No one wants these kind of jobs, so there'd be a lot more opportunity. Besides, Intērī is the Goddess of the Middle World. She just needs someone to grab stuff for her while she's sitting at her desk in the waiting room and determining poor souls' fates. Easy job, and it pays well. Almost too good to be true.

The Elf muttered to themself, digging through a large filing cabinet and removing a manilla folder. They placed the folder on the desk.

"Alright.. Oh! You must be Ronnie Talbot, then! Okay, go into the elevator and select the floor XXX. It'll know where to take you."

I nodded as they handed me the folder and I turned to walk towards the elevator.

"Oh, also, your boss has been changed due to some personal reasons. I'm sure you'll be able to adjust, after all you're clearly a very valuable employee. And, do tell your boss Vill says hello. Send him my regards!" The voice called to me as the elevator door closed.

I went to stop the door, figure out what the hell they meant by that. But it was already closing, leaving me with only my reflection. The dull elevator was almost suffocating, the only vibrance or color coming from the pink fade in my hair.

If Intērī isn't my boss anymore, who is?

The door opened suddenly. I walked onto the floor, a tattered and dingy lobby that looked almost like a school main office. The room was empty except for a tall, dark skinned man standing at one of the open office doors, speaking to someone inside. As soon as he saw me, he grinned, roughly grabbing my arm and dragging me towards the door.

"Aww, cheer up, boss man. You should be happy! Your new PA is here. Promise you won't scare the hell out of this one?" The man spoke in a teasing tone to the person in the the room.

"Send them in." The voice responded coldly, before I was thrust inside the filthy office, to face none other than-
..
..
..
Fuck.