006

"Now, now, campers. That's what we're here for. Welcome, Eve. You can have that spot on the floor right over there." A guy who was a little older than the rest smiled "And Percy, you can go here"

The guy seemed about nineteen; he was tall and muscular, with curly jet-black hair and a friendly grin. He wore an orange tank top, cutoffs, sandals, and a leather necklace with five different-colored clay beads. The only thing unsettling about his appearance was a thick white scar that ran from just beneath his right eye to his jaw, like an old knife slash. But still, he was hot, so very hot.

"This is Luke," Annabeth said, and her voice sounded different somehow. I glanced over and could've sworn she was blushing. I wondered if their dating. "He's your counselor for now."

"For now?" Percy asked.

"You're undetermined," Luke explained patiently. "They don't know what cabin to put you in, so you're here. Cabin eleven takes all newcomers, all visitors. Naturally, we would. Hermes, our patron, is the god of travelers."

He's the son of a God? Wow, what a catch. Great job, Annabeth! I sat down on my floor spot, and Percy sulked beside me. I remembered he literally had nothing of his own, I was used to it atlest. But this was his first time without clothes, a bed, and his mom.

"Percy, it'll be okay." I tried to comfort him, but I was never good at that. I just patted his shoe and stared awkwardly at the other campers.

"How long will I be here?" He asked.

"Good question," Luke said. "Until you're determined."

"How long will that take?"

The campers all laughed.

"Come on," Annabeth told him. "I'll show you the volleyball court."

"I've already seen it."

She grabbed him and yanked him outside. I heard faint yelling, but I decided to stay the hell out of it. The other kids watched me, the devilish grins on their faces were deeply disturbing, but hey, we all got issues.

"So what is undetermined? And why are they all in here?" I questioned

"Well, you don't just choose a cabin," Luke began squatting next to me. "It depends on who your godly parent is"

"I don't have a 'godly' parent. That's crazy," I shook my head, giggling. "I have three aunts who all smell like fucking tuna"

"You do have one, Eve"

"No, I don't, and how would you even know?"

"Only half-bloods-- demigods can enter the camp"

I shut my trap and turned my head to him. I think I was making a shocked face or something because he burst out laughing right in my face. "You didn't know?" he kept cackling, and soon the other campers did too.

"I don't know my parents at all," I groaned; I did not find this historical one bit. "How do I find out who my parent is?"

Luke sighed. "You can't- at least not until they claim you. Which is almost impossible"

I nodded; I was disappointed, obviously. Anyone would be, hoping maybe one day to find out who your real parents are, then finding out it could never happen.

"Eve!" I heard my name from outside the cabin. I thanked Luke and ran out. I don't know what I expected, but it definitely wasn't Percy being dragged around by a very large girl with three others behind them. The girl wore a beaded necklace like Luke and had a head full of brown curls, and she had a generally mean face like the rest of her posse.

"What happened?" I turned to Annabeth

"Clarisse happened," She groaned, distressed. "Daughter of Ares"

Okay, yeah, daughter of Ares, that's fun. Annabeth and I watched as she pushed him into the girls' bathroom. Then a girly shriek erupted from the building, and water trickled out from under the bathroom door. The room was flooded. Clarisse was desperately smoothing down her hair that was soaked in what had to be toilet water. I locked eyes with Percy, who was somehow standing on the only dry spot in the room, not a drop of water on him.

Annabeth said, "How did you ..."

"I don't know."

We walked to the door. Outside, Clarisse and her friends were sprawled in the mud, and a bunch of other campers had gathered around to gawk. Clarisse's hair was flattened across her face. Her camouflage jacket was sopping, and she smelled like sewage. She gave Percy a look of absolute hatred.

"You are dead, new boy. You are totally dead."

Percy replied, "You want to gargle with toilet water again, Clarisse? Close your mouth."

This kid has a fucking death wish. Clarisse's friends had to hold her back. They dragged her toward cabin five while the other campers made their way to avoid her flailing feet. She broke free of their clutches and pounced on me, digging my head into the dirt.

"Get off!" I pushed her shoulder back, but it just made her angrier. She yanked at my hair. Through the wrath of Clarisse, I saw Percy restrained by her friends and Annabeth trying to free him. Clarisse lifted her arm and whacked me in the side. I gasped for air, halting my thrashing as the next punches landed.

"There can't be two of you," She wailed. "It's not fair!"

I didn't know what she meant by that. I caught my breath and began scratching and kicking. I swung at her face, but she just pinned my hands above my head and kept attacking me with the other.

"You're not special!" 

"I know!" I've always known that this 'godly' parent stuff is gonna turn out to be a sick prank in the end or a dream. These punches may feel real, but it's impossible, right?

It began getting harder to breathe as her weight sunk into my chest. I shut my eyes tight the lack of air stung hard. I pushed and pushed and

Whooossh!

I could breathe. Clarisse was gone? I felt arms pull me to my feet and shake me a little. 

"Where did Clarisse go?" I asked. Percy let go of me and pointed to the side. She had to be a yard away from where we were standing. She was stressed, pulling at her hair and staring angrily at Percy and me, "How did she get there?"

"You too.." Annabeth mumbled I couldn't tell whether she was angry or grossed out from all the shit water everywhere

"What?" Percy demanded. "What are you thinking?"

"I'm thinking," she said, "that I want you on my team for capture the flag."