Elaena

Chapter Thirty-Nine~ Elaena

⋅•⋅☾∘⋅•⋅

Elaena was pregnant again.

How exactly she wasn't sure. Her husband had spent majority of his time with his brother completely ignoring her existence.

Which she was fine with. She had her children and the company of Gabriel who was on the same academic level as she was so it was easy to converse with him.

But the rumors surrounding her position in court were whispered as she walked through the halls.

And now with Aemon becoming sickly her crown was slipping and her safety which she hated lay with her children, was falling. Her youngest son was nearing three years old, and he had lost his appetite for food and his laughter in the presence of anyone.

Elaena was certain foul play was at hand, but throwing around an accusation like that could be costly.

She would take a leaf from her mothers book and keep her children close to her, have help from Clarissa and tend to the children herself rather than having strangers hired by strangers looking after them.

Perhaps it had been cruel to have another baby to bring back her feeling of security. But it was the only way.
Her brothers were gone, so was Vissera and now little Aemon was scaring her half to death every time he coughed.

So on the nights when Viserys would pull her close she would take full advantage of the times he would think below the waist.

Which was rare, as in not even once a week rare.

So you can Imagine the Princess's surprise when she found her cycle two moons off it's course.

She had already told Clarissa, who had hugged her and seemed in a most joyous mood when she heard.
"I know it'll be a girl." Tarbeck smiled. "A little baby girl with hair as beautiful as the sun."

Elaena smiled too; but it didn't quite reach her eyes.

It wasn't exactly troubled news. But she knew Viserys would not like it.

"I must tell Viserys." Elaena nodded.

"I'll come with you?" Clarrisa said it as more of a question.

She should have done it on her own.

But a part of her knew that Viserys would have to be happy if Clarissa was there.

She tried her hardest to take on the role of head of the family, not for control or power. But because on instinct her first priority was them.

They walked arm in arm toward the kings council room which is where they knew the king and the prince would be.

And they were right. King Aegon and her husband Viserys were going through tax statements.

"Oh Princess Elaena!" The king emailed when he saw her. "And Lady Clarissa."

"Your grace." Clarissa bowed.

"Is everything all right?" Viserys frowned. He stood from his seat and approached his wife.

They had been somewhat smitten with one another as children, Elaena always daring for Viserys to step out of his comfort zone and dance on the edge with her. They were more than happy to wed one another, they were both clever, spending time lay beneath the sun with her head in his lap as she read to him and him playing with her hair.

But as they grew older and westeros loomed over them, they became distant with one another, It was with the birth of young Aegon did their dynamic really change.