Music and Battle

Chapter Fifty-Three~
Music and Battle

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Vaegon had grown to hate the castle he once called home.

Around every corner was a memory of his childhood.

It sounded and looked the same way it did then, a few minor changes like majority of the religious relics and symbols his Grandmother had put in place had been covered by Targaryen banners, the religion kept solely to the chapel on the outskirts of the castle.

The prince found a column leading out to the gardens, his fingers pressed into the stone that had been worn away from blows sent playfully by figures from his past.

He remembered Aerys and Jaehaerys bashing small swords they had stolen from the blacksmith against the stone whilst he sat on the floor laughing along.

He remembered the sounds of their squeals as they ran when they heard their fathers shout.

He remembered trying to run along with him but his legs were too small, and then he remembered being scooped up by his aunt Helaena who had appeared from nowhere.

And she carried him as his father and uncle followed as Vaegon himself watched his brother and cousin ran all the way to an oak tree where his mother sat reading to Maelor and lulling Aegor to sleep, whilst Elaena and Jaehaera made chains from the daisy's growing on the ground.

Vaegon snatched his hand from the column, as if the stone had scorned him with a burning shock straight to his heart.

"Prince Vaegon."

He heard someone call.

It was the king.

"Your Grace." Vaegon gave a short nod when the king approached.

The dynamic of the pair was a strange one.

They both knew in their blood it was the Prince who should've been ruling the throne.

Had the Kingdoms crowned Aegon in respect of Rhaynera perhaps then it would've been his right. But the sullen king was made that was for his father Daemon, a prince of the blood.

A decade ago he would've been crowned king had his uncles decree been known, and the prince himself not sent into hiding.

It was a strange feeling knowing that should he say he wanted it, he would most likely have it.

"I want to thank you for offering up a son for me to take to ward, it would be a great honor." The king smiled. "And more importantly it would mean our children are around their kin, so that they might never forget their heritage."

"It was my pleasure, though I cannot say my brother is best pleased, he does not hold the hand in high regard." Vaegon said. "I cannot say I do either, especially considering this is a plan set in place so ensuring me and my brother do not rise against you."

"I know he is not the easiest of men to understand, nor his he the kindest but he did help me when I was in need." Aegon replied. "I fear he may be right too, not on your part but there are people who would not see me rule, and with your arrival my enemies would use you against me."

"You are the King, Aegon, you are only as strong as you allow yourself to be, you could've used us as your support, we do not need to strain ourselves to sides as our parents did because the king let his hand rule for him."

"I hold it in deepest regret, that our parents did not allow themselves to act as kin, but I hope we can be different, build a new foundation for the generations to come from our blood." Aegon sighed.