3 | A Gentleman's Haircut

It has been two days since I filed for a leave of absence, and I must admit, I feel quite out of place. While most people fear missing out on social media, in my case, it is the absence of work that leaves me feeling like a fish out of water. It's almost as if work has become my addiction, and now that I am away from it, I am experiencing withdrawals. It's like being addicted to a drug and wanting to go to the office, but it's not all bad. Honestly speaking, relaxing, laying around, and sleeping in is good in moderation.

As I lay here, indulging in the luxury of sleep and leisure, I can't help but feel a sense of guilt. The thought of wasting my days in bed, eating, and binge-watching Netflix fills me with a sense of unease, I start to feel worthless. Yet, my brother Nick assures me that it's perfectly alright to feel this way. He justifies every moment of relaxation as a well-deserved reward for the 5 years of hard work I have put in.

And he is right, isn't he? I do need this break. I recognize that I need this, even though every fiber of my being is yearning to be back at work. My body has been giving me warning signs for the past five years. No matter how many vitamins, it only takes so much time till it wears off, and eventually, I feel weary and worn out. I often frequent nosebleeds, and there are times when I suffer from unexpected bouts of fever. It's ironic really, how I used to boast about never falling ill when I first started working. But now my work is what's making me ill.

But for now, I should try to embrace these moments at home and also my upcoming television debut, how fun for my brother, but for me, I am simply trying not to have any expectations. However, I do appreciate his efforts in making this time away from work more enjoyable. Yet, deep down, I still can't help but miss my work already.

"Hey, bro!" Nick annoyingly, as usual, slides into my room and plops down on the side of my bed while I'm in the midst of watching Netflix on my iPad. "Apparently, filming starts in just February," he says, holding up the contract to his face.

"Great, what on earth am I supposed to do?" I reply dismissively, trying to focus on the show I've been binge-watching for the past day

"Great, what on earth am I supposed to do?" I reply dismissively, trying to focus on the show I've been binge-watching for the past day. I pretend not to care too much about it, even though it's nearing February and this dating show is the reason I took a break from work for a whopping five years.