4 | Screening

As I stand before the bright lights, my hands tremble with nerves

As I stand before the bright lights, my hands tremble with nerves. The producers eagerly await my response, their clipboards poised and ready.

 The producers eagerly await my response, their clipboards poised and ready

"Hello, my name is Noe Carter. I'm 26 and I work as a project coordinator at a company based in New York," I say, hoping to project confidence despite my nerves.

Clearing my throat, I continue, "Similar to Miss Felton, my focus is primarily on my career. Instead of indulging in weekends filled with parties and travel, you'll often find me buried in paperwork, dedicated to my work."

My attempt at laughter comes out strained, making me look damn awkward. I had hoped to lighten the atmosphere however, I failed to do so causing me to pause awkwardly before I continued, "Don't get me wrong, it'd be nice to unwind. However, after long and demanding weeks, finding solace at home with coffee and a captivating book brings me the most relaxation."

"I think Miss Felton would appreciate someone who knows the pressure and effort put into a career, "I venture, hoping to strike a chord with the producers and convey my compatibility with her. However, the producers' and film crew's stares only heightened my anxiety.

The words I had practiced with Nick mere hours ago seemed to dissipate from my mind, leaving me fumbling for what to say next.

Frustrated with my shortcomings, I mutter to myself, "Fuck, I had planned this so well. Now I'm blanking." I had rehearsed this moment countless times, and yet, here I am, stumbling through the screening, Shit.

Taking a deep breath, I muster the courage to continue. "What I meant to say is that I am someone who appreciates the comforts of home. I enjoy cooking whenever possible, and starting the day with a warm cup of coffee, and ending it in the cozy embrace of my partner, brings me great joy."

So I think, as I reflect on my lines with Nick, I now grasp the rehearsed script in my mind. I gather myself, recalling the hours I spent rehearsing earlier that day. Finally, it all got back to me.

"In essence, what I'm trying to convey is that I believe Miss Felton and I could be in a tremendous support system for each other, both professionally and you maybe...personally?" I say, my voice cracking slightly at the weight of my words, again Fuck.