Another Off Day

The next day in a somewhat fancy house in an undisclosed location, a 5'4 woman in her late 20's with green eyes and blonde hair was inside her gym room, exercising and hitting a punching bag. She was barefoot and wearing an aqua green sports bra, and aqua green spandex pants to match with her exercising getup. She also had exercising bandages wrapped around her knuckles and wrists to ensure they wouldn't get too bruised as she kept on punching with every combat move she knew. This was Yelena Belova, former Black Widow and assassin for hire. 10 minutes later, she finished off her training by roundhouse kicking the punching bag until she was satisfied, panting heavily. As she panted, Yelena said, "I know you're here. How did you avert Fanny?"

"I bribed her with a treat," confessed Valentina as she wandered over to Yelena. The blonde Russian looked at Valentina while unwrapping her bandages and asked, "are you here to fire me because I refused to kill Barton? Or are you here to do something much worse to me?" She looked at her knuckles seeing no bruises whatsoever. "Oh no, we can consider Barton water under the bridge," assured Val, "to be fair, I didn't know that Bishop was in cahoots with Kingpin. So maybe you did make the right call letting Clint live. For me, it was just business. But I do have a new mission for you." Yelena smiled sardonically and asked, "who do you want me to kill next? Your ex-husband?" Valentina laughed and replied, "oh heavens no. I may be out of love with Everett, but I wouldn't stoop so low as to kill him. But this assignment isn't an assassination mission. See I've got a few friends from SHIELD that I still keep in contact with. One of them is Jacob Phillips, he's their HR department. His son Jake Phillips Jr is going to testify against Quentin Beck."

"That phony superhero known as Mysterio that framed Spider-Man?" Yelena asked, raising an eyebrow. Of course she was aware of what happened regarding the arachnid vigilante. "That's him," confirmed Val, "seems Jake Jr pissed Mysterio off and Mysterio threatened to kill junior. Jake's going to need a bodyguard to protect him while the trial awaits, because who knows if Beck's men will get various assassins and drones to make sure Jake doesn't live to testify against him?" Yelena listened and replied, "ah... And so the plot thickens. You're wanting me to be this Jake's bodyguard?" Valentina gave a thumbs up and said "That's correct. You will be protecting Jake day and night until Quentin Beck is convicted and sent to prison. Unless of course, he somehow manages to get acquitted like OJ Simpson." Yelena rolled her eyes and said, "I don't know much about the American court system, but the jury would have to be a bunch of priduroks to let a killer like Beck walk away Scott free."

"I agree," said Val, "but you would be surprised how loud, obnoxious, and toxic the minority of Quentin Beck's supporters are. But if it came down to Beck somehow getting acquitted, you'd still protect Mr Phillips, right?" For many decades, Yelena was trained to take lives, even if they were against her will. To protect a life would be something quite different for her. "I don't usually do babysitting, but if I protect Jake and succeed, my failure to kill Barton won't be held against me, da?" Yelena asked. "If you succeed in protecting Jake Phillips Jr by the time Quentin Beck is locked away in prison, we'll be cool again," promised Val, "and don't worry, you'll be paid handsomely." Yelena sighed reluctantly, "togda ochen' khorosho, I will be Jake's bodyguard. And what of Fanny?"

Val smiled and said, "oh you can bring your dog with you. Now here's the file about Mr Phillips. I expect you to read up on him so that you can know him better when you're his personal bodyguard." She then handed Yelena an envelope that contained information about Jake Phillips Jr, his birth certificate and every other piece of private information that was essential and important regarding the young man, where he went to school, his jobs and aspirations, his likes and dislikes, and so on and so forth. "When do I meet this Jake Phillips Jr?" Yelena asked as she took out a picture of the young man, looking at him. He was quite handsome in her opinion. "You meet him tomorrow," said Valentina, "you'll find the address to his house in that file which is where you and Fanny will be staying for the foreseeable future. I'd hire someone to keep an eye on this house for awhile if I were you."