Near Death

It had been about a week since Jake had given Yelena a copy of his house keys and car keys. So far, nobody had attempted to kill Jake. Yelena was always sure to check Jake's food and drink to ensure it wasn't poisoned or anything. Jake was in good hands. It was another typical night and Yelena had finished watching the first season of Broadchurch with Jake. She was shocked to know that Joe Miller was the one who killed Danny Latterman. She never would have suspected it was Ellie's husband. As the credits rolled, Yelena said, "I actually thought Mark was the killer! I feel so bad for Beth, she deserves a better husband than Mark!" Jake looked at Yelena and said in agreement, "right? You interested in watching season two at all?"

"I think I have to now," said Yelena, "I want to know what happens next." Jake smiled and said, "I don't want to spoil what happens next. Maybe we could watch it tomorrow, you and me." He yawned and Yelena said, "I would like that. You should get some rest though. I'll make sure nothing bad happens to you while you sleep." Jake nodded and said, "thanks. Good night Yelena." The Russian blonde smiled sweetly and said, "good night to you too Jake." She and Jake stood up and turned off the lights, locking the door and then they went upstairs, Jake went to his room to change into his pajamas. Yelena was outside the room to his door, respecting his privacy. Yelena thought to herself, "damn it, now I have a crush on you, Jake... You're actually genuinely sweet unlike most men I've known over the years... I wish Natasha were here, maybe she'd be able to give me advice regarding romantic partners... Personally, I wish she had pursued a relationship with that Steve Rogers fellow instead of Banner..." Jake came out in his pajamas and then went to the bathroom to brush his teeth. After that Jake was outside his room and said, "if you feel tired, it's okay if you need to sleep."

"I appreciate your concern for my well-being," said Yelena, "but I train my body to meditate for an hour, and that hour's worth of meditation feels like eight hours of sleep. I'll be fine. You focus on sleeping." Jake nodded and said, "alright, good night." He went into his room and went to sleep on his bed after doing his nightly prayer. Yelena went to the guest room she would sleep in, and sat on her bed, letting her blonde hair down. She was wearing casual clothing for once, and she took off her socks, and then Yelena started to meditate for an hour. After her meditation, Yelena felt less tired, ready to keep an eye on Jake. Suddenly, Yelena could have sworn she heard an unfamiliar noise. Even Fanny sensed something was wrong as she started to growl. "I know, girl," said Yelena as she got up and rushed out of her room, grabbing an escrima stick. She ran into Jake's room without knocking, turned on the light and shouted, "Jake, look out!!" She then tossed her escrima stick with intense velocity, and when Jake woke up, he saw a drone turned visible, impaled by the escrima stick. The drone let out small electrical sparks before falling down on the floor. "Holy Kurtzberg!" Jake exclaimed in shock, "that looks like one of Mysterio's drones!"

"So it is," said Yelena as Fanny wandered to the damaged drone and growled at it. Yelena wandered over to the damaged drone and took out her escrima stick. Jake got out of bed to look at the damaged drone and asked, "how long do you think that thing was spying on us?" Yelena glared at the drone and said, "I do not know. For all we know, that drone might have been spying on you after you announced that you would be testifying against Beck, waiting for the opportune time to kill you. I suppose had I not been there to stop that thing, the drone would have killed you in your sleep through possibly a poisoned dart and the coroners could have ruled it out as dying under mysterious circumstances... I would have to study the anatomy." Jake looked at Yelena and said, "thank you for saving me. I owe you big time."

"I'm your bodyguard and I protect you, it's what I do," said Yelena. "What should we do with this thing?" Jake asked. "Bring it to Valentina," suggested Yelena, "She can put the drone into custody and it can be used as court evidence at Beck's trial, that way everyone knows that Quentin Beck tried to kill you with this technology." Jake nodded and said, "sounds like a good idea." Jake then contacted Valentina to let her know what had happened, and Val had her men take the damaged drone into custody so that it would be sealed away for evidence. "Thanks for handling this, Ms. Fontaine," said Jake. "Of course," said Valentina, "You were very smart to come to me about this. I'll make sure it's handled safely. Now you get some rest. And keep up the good work, Yelena. Ciao!" As soon as Valentina left, Yelena asked, "are you going to be alright?"

"Yeah I guess," said Jake, "although I don't know if I'll feel safe sleeping in my bedroom tonight." He rubbed his arm nervously and shyly asked, "could I sleep with you in your bedroom tonight?" Yelena blushed a little and said, "sure you can. Fanny and I won't leave your sight, I promise." Jake smiled and said,"thanks Yelena." Jake then went into Yelena's guest room, and Yelena and Fanny followed suit. Jake got in the bed and said, "thanks again for saving my life Yelena. Good night." As he tucked himself into the blankets, Yelena then asked, "got room for one more?" Yelena then got into bed and allowed Jake to cover her in the blankets. "I've got you," promised Yelena as Jake cuddled up to her shoulder. Yelena smiled and held Jake in her arms, the both of them falling asleep.