Chapter 8

It was an itching and biting against their skin, as if fleas riddled their bodies. Their hearts ran a little faster due to the fear that unconsciously buried itself in their chests. There was no moon to sooth them now, to rid the fear, to guide and comfort them and they could all feel it; though none wanted to admit it. The signs where there though.

Toothiana, in all of her feathered glory was acting like a stressed school teacher. She constantly ordered her mini fairies to go and do head counts on all the fairies, as well as imposing a new buddy system. Her bright vibrant feathers twitched at the slightest noise, and she kept looking at the window they always left open for Jack, waiting for the two of them to return.

Bunny was perhaps the worst of them all; though he hid it better. The Pooka sat with his back to the fire, painting eggs, while plain white ones danced around him. Bunnies buy nature are flighty and tentative by nature, and the lack of moon was making Bunny's heart race uncontrollably fast at any sound, his ears jerking and twitching in the process.

North and Sandman showed no signs. The golden dream maker had appeared only moments ago, offering a wave before nodding off to sleep midair. North was down in the workshop, bellowing in North and Yeti, and sometimes rarely, English.

"They should be back by now," Tooth said as she took eggnog from a passing elf and finished it in one mouthful, "they should've been back hours ago."

"They shouldn't have left in the first place," Bunny grumbled as he delicately painted a flower onto his egg, "we've gotta stay together; it's too dangerous out their without Manny."

"Do my ears deceive me? Does Bunny sound like he actually cares?" A cold gust blew through the window as Jack dropped in. Instantly Tooth swarmed down upon him.

"Where did you go? Why did it take so long? Where's Nico?-" she said, looking rather flustered.

"I'm here," Nico said as he came up the winding stairs.

He looked like he had aged a couple years. His movements weren't as fast, nor as silent. Usually the son of Hades was quiet as a mouse; despite his combat boots, sword, and heavy jacket, but now his boots made heavy clunking noises as they hit the floor boards, sword jangling obnoxiously on its chain, leather of his jacket squeaking due to the moisture that rested on it, he looked weary, slightly hunched, with stiff knees. His black hair was matted with blood, his face had a long graze on one side, marring the olive toned skin, while above that rested a long cut, right near the hairline. Already bruises could be seen forming along his cheek bone, dark blue and purple in their fury.

"You better tell me this instance what happened," Tooth said as she rushed over to Nico.

Bunny echoed her statement as he said; "where the hell did you two get too?"

Nico actually allowed Tooth to push him into a seat. But when she began fluttering around his face to start seeing if the cut needed stitches he pushed her away.

"I had to do a job," Nico's voice was the usual monotone, "Jack had the winds give me a lift. We ran into Pitch."

"What happened?" Bunny nudged Sandy awake before moving to the bannister and calling North up.

The great man came up the stairs, and after seeing Nico's face, yelled down in Russian. A yeti came up and handed over a first aid kit to North, and Nico's scowl didn't go unnoticed.

"It's fine," Nico tried to stand up, but Bunny came up behind him and pushed down his shoulders, keeping him in the chair.

"Tell us what happened," North said as he knelt down and began using an alcohol wipe to clean the grazes; noting that Nico didn't wince once.