06 - I Break My Promise

'Percy, you can't lie about this!'

Corey let Grover take the lead of getting them into the city. She couldn't think straight. It had to be a coincidence. Echidna of all the monsters in the world and her child hurting Percy. The Fates were cruel but this was heartless.

"We aren't gonna be able to outrun them for very long" Grover spoke up as they walked through an alley. "We don't need to. We just need a safe place to hole up" Annabeth told him, looking at Corey for a moment. Corey was trembling like someone was shaking every part of her. "Some place safe. Any ideas where we might find one of those?" Percy asked, wondering where in St. Louis of all places was a safe place from whatever monster Echidna decided to kill them with.

Annabeth smiled, "I do. A sanctuary, dedicated to Athena, built by one of her demigod children a long time ago" She explained as the end of the alley, the city coming into view. "There is an Athenian temple hidden somewhere in the middle of downtown St. Louis?" Grover asked, shocked that someone managed to pull it off. "Yes. Except it's not all that hidden'' Annabeth stopped as she looked up.

Corey looked up to see a huge semi-circle in the sky, shining in the sun. "What is that?" She asked Annabeth, not remembering such a building. "The Gateway Arch" Annabeth smiled dreamily as they walked to the landmark. "It's 630 feet wide, 630 feet tall, both to within an inch. It's got no internal support. Each side is balanced perfectly against the other. The arch is held up by symmetry. It's held up by math" Annabeth explained as they entered the building.

Corey felt a wave wash over her, her stomach turning in as Annabeth explained the temple. Something was wrong, she could feel it. "And it's earthquake-proof, so Poseidon can't ruin it" Annabeth sent Percy a cheeky smile. "Nice" Percy clicked his tongue as they passed through the crowds. Corey stared at the glass boxes with animal bones, the many colourful pictures of war.

"This is how you show Athena your love. A monument to the power of perfection" Annabeth explained to Percy, connecting their conversation from the morning as she looked at the Arches interior. "It's a monument to some other stuff, too" Grover sounded bitter, seeing the bones of animals being paraded for human amusement. "You're talking about what some humans want this place to be about '' Annabeth was short with the satyr, unintentionally.

"I'm talking about what it actually is" She added with some unwanted sass. Grover held his hands in self-defence, "Whatever" He shrugged. "We're safe here, right?" Corey asked Annabeth. "No monsters can enter. Not even Echidna" Annabeth reassured her, patting her arm. "We're safe".

Corey could breathe, the weight on her shoulders lifting but the churning in her stomach. "Great. Well, since our train exploded, I'm gonna see if there's another one we can get tickets on" Grover smacked his lips, just being near the exhibits were making him queasy. "We can't stay here forever. Just because we're prey, doesn't mean we need to be helpless" Grover huffed before walking away from the trio.

Corey watched Percy carefully as he walked closer to Annabeth. "He doesn't like it when people mess with animals" Percy attempted to explain Grover's actions. "Yeah. I know. I shouldn't have s--snapped at him, I just..." Annabeth cursed herself, she shouldn't have said that. "I know" Annabeth sighed.

Corey stayed a few steps away from them, pretending to look at the art that surrounded them. But she saw how Percy's face began to pale, the skin around his eyes turning purple. "So, this is your mom's place? Wonder if she's around" Percy looked around, "Be right down! Just going to the potty!" Percy imitated Athena with a poorly high-pitched British voice. Annabeth chuckled softly, "Nice" She smiled at him. "I have a gift" Percy shrugged at her.

"I guess you were right, by the way" Percy admitted to Annabeth, catching her by surprise. "We needed a safe place, and your mom had one waiting. Pretty lucky we happened to be in the right city for it" Percy spoke with a small rasp that went unnoticed by Annabeth. Corey had to stop herself from running to Percy, she knew what was happening but she couldn't do a thing. Her dreams made it pretty clear what would happen if she did.