Where the boy with the bread gets left behind.

Dessert was nearly as perplexing as the rest of the meal. Katniss was simply flummoxed as she looked down to touch the liquidy jelly that had been placed in front of her.

She tried to remain casual as she ate with one hand, scooping the suspicious substance up with her spoon, watching it wiggle as she brought it higher to her mouth.

Peeta was having a similar struggle next to her, but at least he had his right hand free whereas Katniss' one was occupied with holding Peeta's hand under the table, leaving her to struggle with her left one.

Katniss had no experience with boys, the only boy she had ever been around was her best friend. She had shared her first kiss with him one cold winter's day when they were seventeen. Katniss hadn't expected it when Gale had leaned forward, planting his lips on hers for a long moment, and Katniss hadn't been able to maintain composure as she giggled against Gale's lips, resulting in the both of them bursting into laughter, pledging to never do that again.

So now, as Peeta's thumb circled her palm, Katniss felt unlike she ever had before, the swooping feeling in her stomach was weird, but Katniss welcomed it wholly.

They again, hadn't spoken directly to one another for the entire dinner, having both been bombarded with question after question from the dinner guests. Katniss could tell Peeta was still bothered by the whole affair, his answers short and to the point, none of the usual charm in his voice.

Katniss put her spoon down, accepting the fact that she could not eat any more of the goo. As she did so, she felt Peeta's mother's eyes burning into her side, examining her closely.

Katniss raised her head to smile at Ida, but her smile faltered slightly as she caught the expression on her weathered face. Katniss' stomach dropped to the floor. Had Ida finally connected the dots?

With a commanding clap, Ida Mellark stopped all the chatter at the table, bringing all attention back to her with a single sentence, "After dinner refreshments are now available in the hall, if everyone would like to vacate the table."

Katniss and Peeta shared a look as everyone around them tripped over themselves to get into the hall, the buzz and chatter amplified by the thought of more elaborate food and drinks.

Katniss rose out of her seat slowly, still holding Peeta's hand as she led the way. She felt excitement buzzing within her, would Peeta and her finally be able to talk now? What will she say?

"Not you my dearest Peeta, you may sit and chat with your mother and brother a while longer," Ida instructed, pointing to the seat closest to her. And Katniss realised that Rye was sitting beside her, looking as smug as ever, with no blonde barnacle in sight.

Peeta just nodded, gripping onto Katniss' hand as he walked them both back to the table.

"Just you please. This is a family matter, the girl can wait for you," Ida snapped as she looked down at the two's hands, seeing Peeta's intention to bring Katniss with him.

Peeta looked at Katniss desperately for a second, the wild look in his eyes reminding Katniss of how he'd looked before he had tossed her that bread that fateful day.

"It's okay Mellark, I'll be waiting for you," Katniss reassured with a smile, feeling extremely uncomfortable as Rye and Ida stared up at her, eyeing her like prey would eye a vulnerable animal.

Reluctantly letting go of Peeta's hand, Katniss held her head high as she left the dining room, watching through the crack of the door as Peeta stood down stiffly next to his mother and brother.

Before Katniss could see any more, Ida's beefed-up security guards shut the door, standing in front of it commandingly.

"Be gone girl," one of the men gruffly instructed her, and Katniss scowled at them but turned around, looking around the room and feeling extremely out of her depth as hoards of millionaires drank and joked with one another.