Favorite Day

This one is for @Hopelessangelxxx
who wanted to read about Happy and Angela's mission trip! Happy's about 22 in this one, Angela is 9! :)

Love writing little Ang and big brother Hap!

~'~'~'~

Happy stared up at the big church, already dreading going inside of it. His nine year old cousin was standing beside him, her eyes slightly wide as she took in the architecture of the Mission Dolores Basilica. It was beautiful, intricate with its arches and glass windows. The bright white building beside it was why they were actually there, though. Her class was studying the California Missions, and she had to write a whole ass report about them. She got extra credit if she visited and took pictures while she was there, too. Angela, knowing they didn't have the money to go very far just for a class project, had selected the mission in San Francisco. Initially, his Ma was supposed to take her, but she'd gotten called into work for an overtime shift, and the cash she'd make was too good to pass up, so she'd asked him to take her. He tried to get out of it, but his mother was stubborn, and he caved; it was rare he didn't cave when his Ma asked him to do something.

"Did you know the mission was made in 1776, Hap? It's the oldest building in San Francisco!" Angela exclaimed, pointing at the smaller building with the red roof.

"Cool, kid. Get your picture and let's bounce," he said, nodding to the disposable camera in her hand.

Angela snapped a quick picture. He went to head towards his truck, but she stood firm. "We gotta go inside, Hap," she said, nodding to the door. "That's what my teacher said. I need a flyer thingy or something to prove I was here."

"Can get one at the gift shop," he said nodding towards the corner. Much to his mother's dismay, he hadn't stepped foot in a church in years. His Ma, Graci, and most of the time Angela went on a weekly basis, though. He figured the only reason Angela went was because afterwards, it usually meant she got to hang out with Rosa and Lino. Lino and Angela usually sat together with Rosa sitting with her family and the rest of the Mayan families that went to church. Once church was done, they usually went to get doughnuts all together or to play at Rosa's house.

"We hafta go inside," she insisted stubbornly. "Please, Hap."

He narrowed his eyes at her; there was something more to it that she wasn't telling him. Squatting down so he was her height, he realized she wouldn't look at him. "What's goin' on, kid?"

"Tia said this was a special Church, and we should go light velitas for Papi and Tio. She said they would know we were thinkin' of them, and it would make them happy." (Little candles.)

Velitas. She wanted to go inside to light prayer candles. It didn't surprise him how staunch her resolve was to light the candles for her dad and Chico; his kid was very much into thinking her dead family members were still around in spirit. She often said she talked to them, sometimes even that she felt their presence. With a sigh, he stood up straight and nodded. "Gonna make it fast. Not prayin' 'n' shit."

Angela nodded solemnly. "I just need help lightin' the candles, Hap. Then you can go, but I want to say a prayer."

"All right, kid," he murmured, pulling open the heavy door and letting her walk in first. He watched her dip her fingers in the holy water and do a sign of the cross. She looked up at him, and he begrudgingly did the same. He knew the church traditions; his Ma had forced him to go to church on Sunday for as long as she possibly could.

The inside of the small church was actually kind of beautiful. He took it all in, an unsettling feeling in his gut; he didn't belong there. There were a few people in the church, and he could feel their eyes on him as he walked inside. Another reason he hated churches was the glares he got for the tattoos that littered his arms and head. If Angela noticed it, she didn't say anything. She went straight to the candles, digging in her little purse and taking out the two dollars she'd earned doing simple chores around the house. She put the cash into the little slot before glancing up at him.