Chapter 21 - The Coiled Snake

"So." Tony clicked his tongue, eyes darting between Arwyn and Peter as he leant back in his chair, arms crossed. "Who wants to go first?"

The two looked across the table at each other, both too nervous to answer. Arwyn bit her lip, her eyes darting away as Peter began twirling his thumbs. They sat at the end of the table with Tony sitting at the far end, shadowed by Pepper.

Tony cocked his brow, swinging his leg over the other as he shook his head.

"No one?" Tony asked sarcastically. "I guess I'll go."

"Tony-" Pepper stuck out her hand, a warning to calm down, but Tony wouldn't hear of it, moving her hand back.

"No Pep, if the kids wanna act like adults then they get punished like adults." Tony huffed.

Arwyn's head shot up, turning to face Tony with a scowl.

"Hang on, punished?" Arwyn asks, gesturing between herself and Peter. "We didn't do anything wrong."

"Nothing wrong?" Tony let out a harsh laugh, shaking his head as he pointed to Peter. "Okay, how about we start with Spider boy over nearly outing himself to a stranger."

"W-wait, how did you-" Peter stuttered nervously.

"I wasn't done." Tony snapped, cutting him off. Turning to face Arwyn, he scowled. "And let's not forget to mention, Little Miss Snowflake over here charging head first into a crowd, after being explicitly warned it might be dangerous."

Tony huffed, throwing his hands up as he continued.

"I mean, honestly, does anyone ever listen to me or is it in one ear and out the other with you two?"

"That's enough Tony." Steve's voice called out. He charged through the now open door, Bucky close behind. Marching up to Tony, he shook his head. "You're being too hard on them."

Getting up from his chair as he rolled his eyes, Tony scowled at Steve.

"Great, Captain crunch and boy wonder, here to save the day again." Tony scowled. "This doesn't evolve you, Rogers."

"This involves all of us, or did you forget that?" Steve retorts, a scowl of his own.

As the two continue to bicker under Peppers surveillance, Bucky sighs, rolling his eyes as he makes his way over to Arwyn and Peter.

"Hey kid." Bucky smirks at Peter, ruffling his hair as he walks past.

"H-hey Mr. Barnes!" Peter smiles.

"I keep telling you, just call me Bucky." He smiles back. Turning to face Arwyn, his smile drops as he points to her bandage "Hey Doll, how's the arm?"

"Better than yours." She smirks, earning a hearty chuckle from Bucky.

"At least yours is still attached." He laughs, glancing over at the men currently being separated by Pepper. "For now anyway, keep this shit up and we might be matching before you know it."

Arwyn sighs, crossing her arms as she leans back in her chair.

"I wasn't trying to get hurt." Arwyn pouts. "I just..."

Arwyn petters out, her mind twisting in on itself. What was she trying to do? Why did she run off?

"You weren't thinking, were you? Happens to the best of us." Bucky smirks as Arwyn sadly nods her head. The two look back across the room with Peter following suit. Tony and Steve were yelling again, pointing at each other aggressively. "They wouldn't be like this if they didn't care, you know that right?"