chapter 4

Ruki's gasp hung in the air, and I stood there, waiting for her to find her words. The surprise in her voice was unmistakable, and I could only imagine the look on her face.

“Oh my, Mr. Creston! I had no idea...” Her voice trailed off, a mix of concern and curiosity.

“Don’t worry about it, Ruki. I’m quite used to these kinds of reactions,” I said, trying to ease the tension with a smile that told people all was well. “Besides, it’s not every day you meet a blind man who navigates new places so confidently.”

There was a moment of silence before she spoke again, her tone more composed. “You must have incredible"... She didn't finish that sentence and I was glad that she didn't. So many blind and physically challenged people hated pity parties, even the ones that came in form of a platitude.

Please, let me guide you to a seat.”

I heard her footsteps approach, and she gently took my arm. As we walked, I could feel the warmth of her presence, and I couldn't help but feel a strange sense of comfort. She led me to a chair in what I presumed was a cozy corner of the shop.

“Here you go. Please, make yourself comfortable,” she said, her voice soft and welcoming.

“Thank you, Ruki. This place smells amazing, by the way,” I said, inhaling deeply. The scent of freshly baked pastries and brewed coffee filled the air, wrapping me in a blanket of warmth.

“I’m glad you think so. I’ve only just opened, but it’s been a dream of mine for years,” she replied, a hint of pride in her voice.

“Dreams are worth pursuing,” I said, settling into the chair. “And from what I’ve heard, your pastries are a hit at the police station.”

She laughed, a light, musical sound. “Yes, they seemed quite pleased. I never knew you were pals with one of The detectives. Your friend, Detective Kels, was especially enthusiastic.”

“uh-oh, I see he has mentioned me to you.”

“yes, this morning at the police station where I met them for the first time.”

“well, don't believe everything he said.”

“even if they are all good?” her question was accompanied by that rich laughter that I was beginning to enjoy.

Anyway, I deflected her question like a pro.

Kels has got a sweet tooth,” I chuckled. “So, what inspired you to open a bakery in Saint Monica?”

Ruki paused for a moment, as if collecting her thoughts. “I’ve always loved baking, ever since I was a little girl. But life took me on a different path for a while. When I finally had the chance to start over, I knew I wanted to create something special. Saint Monica seemed like the perfect place – a small town with a big heart.”

“It sounds like you’ve found your calling,” I said, genuinely impressed.

“I hope so,” she replied. “And what about you, Mr. Creston? What brings you to Saint Monica?”

“please call me Danny. When you say Mr. Creston, I would think you are talking to my father.”

“alright, Danny, what brings you to send Monica?”

I hesitated for a moment, considering how much to reveal. “It’s a long story, but let’s just say I needed a change of pace. Somewhere quieter, where I could focus on my writing.”

“A writer, huh? What do you write about?”

“Mostly articles,” I said, keeping it vague. “But I’ve been dabbling in fiction lately.”

“Interesting,” she said, and I could hear the curiosity in her voice. “You’ll have to tell me more sometime.”

“Sure thing,” I replied, not committing to anything. “So, about those coupons you mentioned?”

“Ah, yes!” she exclaimed, as if remembering something important. I heard her rustling around behind the counter, and moments later, she returned. “Here you go, a booklet of coupons. Use them whenever you like.”

“Thanks, Ruki. I appreciate it,” I said, taking the booklet from her outstretched hand.

“You’re welcome. And if you ever need anything else, just let me know,” she said, her tone sincere.

“I will,” I assured her.