Chapter 14

After the film had finished, Sam and Paige needed to go to the bathroom, leaving Alex and Jessica alone and waiting in the foyer. There was nobody else around and the two stood side by side, holding hands. "I felt what you wrote in the cinema." Alex said, his voice trembling. "I felt what you wrote too." Jessica replied, smiling. The two stared at each other for a small moment before Alex leaned in and kissed her cheek. "I think my mum is dragging us on a walk tomorrow, but I can see if I can get away when we get back so I can call you." Alex said, squeezing her hand. "Okay, you know, something I've always dreamed of is a guy giving me a daisy he found in a field." Jessica told him, laughing slightly. Alex smiled at her and took note of her dream, silently promising that he would find her a daisy even if it took forever.

On the drive home, the four teens sang their hearts out to Taylor Swift, stopping only for Stick Season by Noah Kahn. None of them cared if anyone heard, in that moment, only they existed, nobody could hear them. Just music and happiness all the way back to Jessica's grandparents' house. "Message me when you get back." Jesscia said, her face smushed into Alex's chest as they hugged goodbye. "I promise princess." Alex said, wrapping his arms more firmly around Jessica and kissing her head. "Goodnight Alex." Jesscia said. "Goodnight Jess." Alex repeated, pressing a kiss to her lips. "I love you." the two of them said as they broke away, holding hands at arms' length before finally breaking contact so Jessica could go inside.

The next day, Alex's mum went into all of the kids' rooms, waking them up and telling them to get some breakfast before getting ready to go for a walk. Alex got up, sending Jessica a good morning snap before walking downstairs half asleep to grab some breakfast. Downstairs, Jane was bustling around the kitchen, singing and dancing with Rosie as they made breakfast for everyone. "Who wants eggs?" Rosie shouted as she pulled plates out of the cupboard. A host of replies came through, a mix of yes and no; Jane started putting bacon, sausages and hash browns on each plate, followed by toast. Once everything had been plated, the two families sat at the table, Jane, Rosie, Dan and Paul all talking about where they were going on the walk. Meanwhile, at the other end of the table, Paige and Alex were talking about college and Jessica whilst Sam and Jo were looking for clubs in the area to go to on their final night in Norfolk. "I think this one looks good, there's no entry fee and there seems to be a good DJ." Sam suggested, showing Jo the club he had found. Over by Alex and Paige, the two were discussing their New Year's Eve plans. "I think we should at least ask Jessica if she wants to join us, come on Alex, she's your girlfriend. We already spent Christmas with her, and I overheard you two last night." Paige argued. "Fine, I'll ask her." Alex started. "Do you know anything about Jess wanting to receive a daisy from a guy?" "Uhm, yeah. She always said if she ever received one, she would cry with joy. Daisies are her favourite flower, and even though she's had boyfriends in the past, none of them have ever even given her flowers, and she was with Louis over Valentines." Paige said, not thinking much of it. But her words struck a chord with Alex, a chord that made him want to find all of Jessica's past boyfriends and strangle them for not ever giving her the love she deserved.

A few hours later, the two families came out onto the main road after their walk, searching for the nearest pub for a drink and maybe some food. Paige was messaging Jessica, telling her all about the conversation she had with Alex that morning. As they walked into the pub, Paige and Alex saw Jessica and so, after telling their parents what they wanted to drink, walked over to her table. "Hey Jess, hi David, Louise." Paige said whilst sitting next to Jessica in the booth. "Hi Paige, how are you?" David asked. "I'm good, tired as anything though." She replied. "Who's this?" Louise asked when she took note of Alex standing awkwardly next to the booth. "Oh, hi I'm Alex, my mum and Paige's are best friends, we're kind of like brother and sister." Alex answered. "He's my boyfriend." Jessica clarified, blushing slightly as she reached out for Alex's hand. "Oh really." David said, his voice raising as he stood up trying to be intimidating. "Sit down dad, you're embarrassing me." Jessica groaned, burying her head in Paige's shoulder. "Uhm, Jess, I actually have something for you." Alex said, holding out his hand that gently clutched the giant daisy he had found on the walk. "Oh my God." Jessica said, tears welling in her eyes as she gently took the flower from Alex. "Thank you, I don't know what to say Alex, it's beautiful." Jessica continued, looking up at Alex who proudly wore an idiotic grin at seeing how happy Jessica was because of him. He leaned down and pressed a kiss to her forehead, wiping away some of the tears that had escaped her eyes. On the other side of the table, David calmed down. Though he'd never admit it, he was happy that Jessica had found someone like Alex, even if it meant Jessica wasn't his little girl anymore.