II. The One with the Wise Old Man

Impressive, Albus thinks in spite of himself.

He is also amused, but he doesn't show it. And he is surprised.

He might have expected Amelia Bones to be the defiant one. Trouble seems to seek her out, and she can usually be relied upon to mount a spirited but good-natured defence before accepting whatever punishment he deems appropriate to her infraction.

Of course, this particular infraction has different ramifications from the usual pranks and scuffles that bring her to his office.

But Amelia's eyes are downcast, as if she hopes the Demiguise-hair carpet will suddenly lift off and take her away, while Minerva ...

Her eyes remain on his face, and her chin juts forward as if daring him to chuck it.

"I am aware of the Code of Conduct's provisions, Miss McGonagall," he says after she's begun her defence. "But the fact remains that you and Miss Bones have broken the rules."

"The rules only say that boys can't come into girls' dormitories. They say nothing about dorm-mates sharing a bed."

"I am speaking of the unwritten rules."

Her brow furrows in the way it always does when she is discontent with some bit of information she's been given.

He says, "You must know that society has certain expectations. When they are broken, the consequences can be severe."

Amelia looks up at this, panic writ plain on her face, but Minerva's expression doesn't change.

"We weren't doing anything wrong, just talking. We fell asleep," she says, and he can't help being glad that she's learnt to lie so convincingly. It's a valuable skill, although he must remember to discuss with her the problems inherent in attempting to deceive a Legilimens.

"Nevertheless," he says to her, "appearances matter, Minerva."

He says this softly, and at his use of her given name, Minerva's chin drops a barely perceptible fraction.

He has sympathy for the girls. Merlin knows they aren't the first to engage in such nocturnal activities behind the heavy bed curtains, but Minerva is not well liked among her peers, and Albus is quite certain the anonymous, early-morning note came from one of her own dorm-mates.

"Yes, sir," Minerva says.

"As for punishment, I think an essay might be appropriate."

He knows a writing assignment is not exactly a punishment for either girl, both of whom are well-known "swots", as the other students would put it, but he does hope to teach them a lesson.

"Two feet of parchment on the risks and benefits of conforming to society's mores, and your considered opinions on the most effective ways to challenge them."

Miss Bones looks up at him, then glances at Minerva, whose brow has unfurled. Her defiance has melted into excitement, he can tell by the way her eyes sparkle and the colour has risen in her cheeks.

He suppresses another smile.

"On my desk tomorrow."

"Yes, sir," they say in unison.

When the door has closed behind them, Fawkes gives a low-pitched trill that sounds almost like a chuckle.

"Oh, yes," says Albus, absently scratching the phoenix under the chin. "One to watch, indeed. We must think about her future."