Chapter 1

I bloody fucking forgot the chapter names. Oh well, deal with it.

Chapter 1

Treading upon Russian soil would have once put Nazi Germany on-edge, but the circumstances of the situation made him rather calm, and a still clarity settled over his mind – he could even say that he was confident. The small fact of the Allied Powers neglecting to invite the Soviet Union to the Munich Conference a year earlier meant that the Russian’s loyalty was yet to be won. He was no longer a presumed enemy of Germany, but rather, an unattached superpower leading into what Reich was planning to be another World War. The advantageous situation had piqued Nazi’s interest – having the USSR on the side of the Axis Powers would undoubtedly put Nazi at an advantage, and it would show the Allies their severe miscalculation and poor forward thinking. Were they so fearful of Communist influence that they wouldn’t even negotiate with such an admittedly powerful country as the Soviet Union? So, Nazi had prepared a pact that he was going to personally bring to the Soviet Union as a show of consideration and trust. It held details of a guaranteed non-aggressive, diplomatic relationship between them, putting them at peace with each other and preventing them from engaging in conflict. The pact made it impossible for The USSR to ever aid the Allies in their efforts against Nazi Germany. Nazi was well aware that he and The USSR had wildly different visions of what the perfect version of Europe would look like, but what did it matter if they helped each other out a bit to eradicate the pesky countries that stood in their way?

Nazi Germany had passed peacefully through Poland’s land while refraining from deliberately stirring up trouble, no matter how he longed to do so. But then he’d predictably been thoroughly harassed at the border of The USSR’s territory. The Soviet soldiers stationed at the border had made him get out of the car, only to jab him with the ends of their guns and bark in Russian, as if Nazi could even understand them. Even Reich’s driver was being questioned rapidly. They were even made to hold their hands in the air as a show of submission which tested Nazi’s patience, ire beginning to develop at the situation, but he managed to stay calm in order not to complicate things. What he was struggling to communicate with the soldiers was that he was not just driving a car straight into Soviet territory in what would have to be the weakest invasion ever. He made several sharp gestures at his car to try and speed this process along, but that made the soldiers jerk their guns higher as if he were going to strike at any moment. On one side of the bonnet of his car, just above the headlight, was the flag of the Third Reich on a small pole. The other side sported the white flag of peace, the flag Nazi detested, but had to acknowledge the usefulness of. After seeing this, one of the soldiers eventually understood that this visit was for a negotiation of peace; he gave a slight nod, barely a dip of his chin, and Nazi Germany and his driver were allowed to get back into the car. They were accompanied by the Russian soldiers to the country’s capital of Moscow, where Nazi now stood outside of what he assumed was the Soviet Union’s headquarters.

A hard poke in the back from the end of a gun pulled Nazi Germany from his thoughts. He turned to the soldier and scowled, hitting the gun away irritably.

I’m not their prisoner and I will not be pushed around like one.

He was then led into a somewhat ominous looking building, more soldiers bringing up the rear.

I’m surprised that I haven’t been forced to surrender my weapons. Although, with how I’m surrounded, I’d have a bullet in my skull the moment my hand could even contact my gun.

The clicking of Nazi’s heeled boots echoed through the rooms and hallway as he examined the place, comparing it to his own much more lavish headquarters back home in Berlin. The Soviet star was on most of the doors that they passed, and they were all labelled in Russian. Nazi thought it was beneath him to learn Russian just for the purpose of this trip when he knew that Soviet could speak English for diplomatic purposes, just like most countries could. The weak but elegant beams of natural light offset the intimidating black and white of the building’s interior but still didn’t stop the entire building from giving off an eerie, foreboding atmosphere. When they finally arrived at a set of double doors, the soldier in front of him stopped, pivoting on the spot and holding out a hand. The soldiers on either side and behind Nazi all took a step closer to him and Nazi couldn’t help but feel the slightest bit suffocated – outnumbered. He stiffened but kept his hands slack at his sides and refrained from touching his gun, which was an instinctual mannerism of his. The doors in front of them were then opened by the leading soldier and Nazi Germany was stunned by the red, gold and other less prominent colours that leapt out at him since all he was accustomed to seeing in the headquarters up to this point was a greyscale. The soldier behind him nudged Reich inside as he kept surveying the room, taking in the details attentively but discreetly, but then Reich's gaze fell upon one astonishingly tall figure in the room whose back was facing the door. At the sound of a soldier next to Reich saying something short in Russian (that Nazi thought he could pick up the word ‘fascist’ within it), the figure stopped studying the map on the opposing wall and turned his head sharply. He then swivelled, placing his glass down on the desk, and crossed his arms over his broad chest. Nazi Germany gave him a small snake-like smile, recognition striking in his mind at the sight of this stoic country.