it's all different now •1•

vivianne's pov••

*flashback 6th grade*

"We have to present this speech tomorrow. I just finished it right now. We're not prepared at all. Can you please focus?"

"This is so boring though. Can we take a break?"

I'll admit, what we were working on was boring. I almost fell asleep trying to write this speech. Plus, it was giving me a headache. Maybe a break would be good.

I sigh and say, "Fine Shuj. Let's take a little break. You wanna watch tv or something?"

A smile instantly appears on his face and he says, "Yeah, sure. Do you have anything to eat? I'm kinda hungry."

I think for a second before saying, "I think we've got some mac n cheese that we can make. Are you okay with that?"

"Of course! I'll help you make it."

"Okay cool."

Shuji Ishii-Peters was my absolute best friend and I was his. We've been friends since kindergarten. We live right next to each other so it wasn't too surprising when we started getting close.

He knows everything about me. All the guys I've liked, the people that I don't like, and he knows about my family life. Which no one knows about except for him. I didn't want to tell him at first because I thought he wouldn't listen to me but he did. That's something I always admired about him. He always listened no matter what.

I thought he wouldn't care when I told him that my parents were getting divorced because my dad cheated on my mom. I thought he wouldn't care when I told him that my mom got a boyfriend and got engaged a year into the relationship. I thought he wouldn't care when I told him that I wanted him to come to the wedding with me. I thought he wouldn't care when I told him that my life was gonna change and I was scared. But he did care... about all of it. And he did go to the wedding with me.

I know with the way I'm talking about him, it sounds like I like him, but I don't. We really are just best friends.

As we're walking to the kitchen, we pass by the hall where all of our moving boxes are. I pray that Shuji doesn't see them because I haven't told him yet that I'm moving. I'm not moving drastically far but I'm far enough where I'd have to ask my mom to drive me to his house. But, unfortunately, he sees the boxes.

"Hey, what are all those boxes for," he asked.

I turn around and look at the boxes, "Oh! Those are nothing."

"But on that box says 'Viv's room decor' and another box has your name on it too."

I look at him with sad eyes and say, "Yeah.. that's because I'm moving."

His eyes go wide and he says, "What? When? Why didn't you tell me about this?"

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I just didn't know how to. We're moving over the summer. Because it's coming so soon, we've started packing our entire house. Haven't you noticed that we have no decoration on the walls?"

"I mean I have but- I thought that was just because you guys were redecorating. And over the summer?! That's next month! How long have you known about this?"

"Ever since my mom and my stepdad got married. There's not enough room in the house for all four kids so they looked for a bigger place and then found one close to where Maya's friend lives."