7: A Serious Game Of Simon Says

A/N: Okay so apparently I lied again. Enjoy one more Thalia POV.

Thalia POV

In the morning, I was the first one up. The first thing I noticed was that Reyna was still asleep, so I knew it must be really early. It was still dark out, but the birds were beginning to sing again. Four AM maybe?

The second thing I noticed was that I was sleeping against someone who was definitely not my girlfriend. I rubbed my eyes and looked at them, to find that it was Ten-Seventeen. Still awake. My heart sank. Did we leave him here all night?

I nudged him. "Did you get any sleep at all?"

His eyes flickered to my shoes before returning to the sky, where they had been before I woke up.

"Oh, right. Uh, speak. Sorry."

"No, I didn't sleep."

"Why not?" I asked. He swallowed, waiting, and I sighed. "Speak."

"I was not given permission."

I rubbed my temples. "Yes you were, Ten. The prince, Reyna, and I all told you you could. What did we do wrong?" Again he waited. "Speak."

"It was not done in the right order or by the right people."

"You're really going to be that picky? Speak."

"I'm not the one who makes the rules, Ma'am. I just know I have to follow them."

I narrowed my eyes. "Hey, don't call me ma'am. Reyna's the 'ma'am' kind of woman, not me."

He lowered his head. Didn't respond.

"Maybe you can sleep on the way back to camp," I muttered. I thought I saw his shoulders relax a little bit at the idea. I leaned back. "So what order should we have been telling you to do things in?"

His eyes stared blankly at the sky. How did he do that? Make himself look just so blank. So...empty. It was kind of creeping me out.

He didn't answer. I was getting tired of this. "Is there a command I can use that would make you able to speak this whole time? Speak."

"No, Ma—" he cut off. "Um, your..." he blinked a couple times, trying to think of something respectful to call me.

"My name will do." His jaw tightened. I must've done something wrong. "Not allowed to call me by my name? Speak."

"No."

I rubbed my eyes. "That sucks. What about after we figure out how to get you out of...out of whatever stance this is. When you can speak freely. Can you use my name and things then?"

He opened his mouth to answer but snapped it shut last second. I tilted my head. It was like a game of Simon Says. And if I could get him to slip up, he would realize we wouldn't hurt him for doing so. Reyna would give me a kiss of appreciation for sure.

"Speak," I said.

"No, I can't. Not without permission, at least."

"And if I gave you permission? Speak."

"Then I would obey."

"That's not really.... Well, I guess it'll have to do for now. Are you hungry? Speak."

"A soldier does not ask for food until it is given to him."

"That's bullshit. Are you hungry or not?"

He worked his jaw, obviously getting irritated by my lack of respect for the rules. "A soldier does not ask for food until it is given to him, Thalia."

I sat up. Looking at him. He hadn't noticed yet.