Year 1 - Chapter 8

Bada

Bada

"Jean, look at me." I whispered.

In the background, I heard footsteps. My eyes dart towards the open door. I almost choked when I realize what's about to happen.

Jean's pushed me away and I went straight to her open closet, as I hear Mrs. Nam speak. I tried to make myself busy, looking at the dresses in her closet.

Reality sank in.

This is where you belong, Bada. I tell myself.

In the closet.

I faked my laughter as I lay on her bed. Truthfully, I was fighting the tears I could feel forming behind my eyes. I laid back down, trying to will them away.

I can't cry here.

"Sara mo nga yung pinto!" I told Jean. As she turned her back on me, I swiped the tears from my eyes.

As if in slow motion, I watched as she carefully wiped the lipstick off me. I kept my eyes on her, I couldn't look away even if I wanted to. I felt the urge to kiss her again but this time it was coupled with a paralyzing fear of repeating the past.

I didn't want to feel that way again.

Losing another friend, the feeling of being discarded like trash, being cheated on for another guy.

I cannot go through that again.

"Jean, tara na. Baka traffic."

I stood up and immediately went down.

As I waited for her to come down, I felt overwhelmed by everything that happened.

I can't think right now and I don't think we can talk about it either. She has been so excited about this party, I wouldn't want to ruin it for her.

The cab ride was so awkward. Di ko sya matignan. What if wala lang pala sa kanya yun? What if nandidiri na sya sakin?

Bada, di ka talaga nagiisip!

After Lucy, I promised myself to never fall for a straight girl again. I wasn't thinking right when I kissed Jean.

When we entered the house, I felt her grab my arm. I turned around as she asked me if something's wrong. She will probably tell me how it was a mistake or that she hates me for kissing her.

How can I explain to her that I was being selfish?

"My classmates are there, I'll say hi lang." I said, cutting the conversation short. I immediately went to the kitchen. I listen as my friends talk about what happened at school but I wasn't paying attention.

Para akong tangang nagtatago dito. Ano ba, Bada? It's Jean!

I wanted to kick myself for thinking so negatively. If she gets mad, then we'll talk about it. Why should I torture myself?