Chapter 26

Chapter song - The Horror and the Wild by The Amazing Devil

Much, much later into the night, Ruby slipped out of her window, jumping onto the tree and climbing down. No one seemed to notice or if they did, they certainly didn't care. The moon was too bright for her eyes to look past, but not bright enough to be seen.

As a snap from a branch awoke her senses, she jumped to her right, ready for the fight but quickly was disappointed. It was April.

They didn't say anything, either. Silence was her only hope. She helped her escape silently, hiding out at his second home, the lake house from his childhood. She understood the assignment even though no words were spoken, she understood what it meant. Ruby had gotten her answer, she had finally figured out who she was. And it wasn't a good thing, it was dangerous, far too dangerous for April's mind to comprehend. But she knew what she had to do.

So late at night, they stood at the docks, rowing out to her hidden home, Ruby's tears hidden far underneath her cloak.

It wasn't the fear she was worried about. It was not knowing what is to come. The solitude she lived in was far too overwhelming for anyone let alone the President's niece . A fire burned far into the distance, but she didn't wipe her tears this time.

This time it was time to burn.

*

In the darkened kitchen, April leaned against the back door.

Her hand closed over her mouth as a sharp and cold pain enwrapped around her mind. What if it happens again?

What if it is my fault?

It's only a matter of time until I'm the one in the body bag.

Ruby did as April said and played a part in her aunt's plan. She had to be well...a trick. She had to deceive herself if she was going to be the President's niece. Her mind still hasn't quite processed the information, but she wishes to one day fully understand what the responsibility holds.

"I am Ruby Jones, a dead girl." She told herself, aloud.

Adding "dead girl" at the end is deemed appropriate. She didn't think the town of Greyspire could be tricked, but if they could, President Grey was the one to do so.

"I am here to lead the second army," she said, chanting the words as if they were true.

"I am the future."

Nothing.

"You went into town?" April asked, plopping down in her chair as a clap of thunder shook her house. The tea rattled in the teacup, and she breathed in the smell of fresh-baked bread, as she threw her cloak back and removed her knife from its pocket.

"Was I... not supposed to?" Ruby was sitting on the floor, her back turned against the sofa.

Ruby gave her house a stare, then gave April a stare as she tore a bite from the bread. They sat in silence for a few minutes, the only sounds of scraping utensils against the chipped plates, the drumming of the rain on the roof, and the occasional groan of a thunderhead breaking.

"So," April said. "Are you going to tell me what you're planning, or should I warn Rhye to expect the worst?"

She sipped daintily at her tea. "I don't have any idea."

"Sure about that- you really expect me to believe you with that smug expression on your face."

She set down her teacup. Rain clashes against the shutters, muffling the clink of her cup against the saucer. "That's the power of it."

"Oh? I didn't know you knew what power meant?"

"I can be powerful when it pleases me."

"So what is it you want from Rhye?"

She studied the room. She might not trust Rhye, it doesn't mean she didn't trust April but he has been acting off lately. "I wanted to never ask a question ever again."

"DAMN IT, Ruby." April slammed his fist onto the wooden floor.

"TELL ME THE TRUTH."

"That is the truth," she said. "For years, I have been trying to find out who I am- who I was and now I can... by myself."

April paced around the length of his small room. "I've known you since you were born."

She stopped at the foot of the sofa. "You think I don't know how to tell when you're cooking up a scheme?"

"What do you want from Rhye?"

"Maybe I'm telling the truth- is it that hard to believe?" She said April went rigid.

"Power is the exact opposite of what you want."

"So?" She didn't think she was serious, did she?

He gave her a look so scathing it could have turned her to ash.

"Trust me, I would know. I get it- you're angry but doing something you're going to regret will change your entire life."

"You don't want that, Ruby."

"What gives you the right to say what I want," Delphi growled.

"You don't know me. You don't understand me and you certainly aren't me."

A silence hung onto the air so clear, you could hear the raindrops now matching the teardrops to her eyeshadow.

"What are you doing?" April whispered softly.

"You're acting like an idiot," she seethed. "What's gotten into you?"

"I'm tired of all the melodrama and nonsense that happens whenever I come here and act like everything is fine. But that's not the truth- it's far from it because I don't know who I am."

So that's what this is about, April thought.

She made a turn to run to the door, but he grabbed her wrist. "Whatever plan you're concocting, whatever bit of intrigue you're about to drag me into, whatever you find out, just remember you know who you are. You are still Ruby Jones."

April didn't speak to her after that.

It didn't matter, they had gone years without talking but somehow this time, seemed much worse.