Chapter 26

Adeline was busy stitching her palms, not bothering to make them look nice and neat like Miss Peregrine's. Afterwards she bandaged them and layed back on her bed, feeling lightheaded. She looked out her window and watched as the sun shone through, finding it hard to believe all of that happened today. She shut her eyes and tried to relax but opened them once more when she heard someone open her door.

"Miss P wanted me to check on you. How are you feeling?" It was Emma.

"I'm alright, you?" She asks as the girl took a seat on the edge of her bed.

"Fine, I suppose." She says softly and lays back on the woman's bed with a stretch.

"Maybe you should've showered before stitching your hands." Emma mentions and Adeline remembered the blood on her arms and clothes.

"It's fine, I can rinse off." Adeline says, sitting up.

"Miss P said lunch should be done soon."

"Tell her I'm not that hungry." Adeline says and heads to her bathroom, shutting the door behind her.

She looked in the mirror and seen the small spots of blood on her cheek and thin trails of it dried up on her arms. Her clothes she doubted she could get the stains out of so she threw them in the trash can in the bathroom.

She got undressed and stepped into the hot water, some of her tension easing off when she watched the blood leave down the drain. She scrubbed at her skin for a bit, unable to use soap since her hands were already stinging from the water. She eventually shut the water off and took her towel, drying off and wrapping it around herself to get an outfit from her room.

She opened the bathroom door and walked in the room, about to take the towel off when she heard a knock and someone open the door.

"No, don't I'm-" Adeline cut herself off when she seen Alma quickly drop her gaze.

"I'm sorry." She says quickly and Adeline still felt some of her temper from earlier remain.

"Get out."

"I came to see if you needed help with the stitches." Alma says quietly and Adeline felt some of her anger go for a moment.

"I don't need help, I got them just fine." She says and hugs her towel closer against her.

"Right, I'll leave you be." Alma says softly and shut the door, hesitating for a moment before walking downstairs. Adeline clenched her jaw and kicked the side of the vanity in her room before remembering she didn't have shoes on.

"Fuck!" She shouts and slams her fist down onto the surface of the wooden dresser before stepping away with her clothes and going into the bathroom, shutting and locking the door. She got dressed and then after a few minutes passed by, she heard a knock on the door.

"Adeline?"

"What do you want?" Adeline shouts, unlocking the door and yanking it open, frustrated. She seen the ymbryne on the other side and sent her a small glare. Alma said nothing and brought her arms gently around the younger woman, hugging her close. Adeline tensed for a moment before giving in to the woman's touch, leaning further against her as she felt herself relax, the smell of vanilla enveloping her. Alma said nothing as she gently rubbed the woman's back, pressing a light kiss on her cheek, Adeline blushing for a moment before shutting her eyes,  taking in the moment.

"I love you." She hears the headmistress say. She wanted to pull away but between the blood loss and the adrenaline, she felt too tired to argue with her. "I truly do. I'm sorry."

Adeline said nothing as the woman held her tight, Alma hoping for a response but got none. She sighed and slowly let her go, seeing how tired she was and leading her into the bedroom.

"Get some rest." The ravenette says and gently runs her talons through her hair for a moment before pressing a small kiss on Adelines forehead, leaving the room.  The younger woman crawled into bed, burying herself in the pillows and blankets as sleep took over her.

       ~~~

Adeline woke up around evening and felt a strange numb feeling in her palms. She looked down and seen they were rebandaged and saw a note by her nightstand. She sat up in bed with a stretch and looked over to take the note, sitting back to read it.

Adeline,
I noticed the bandages were not wrapped correctly, and the stitching wasn't the greatest. I fixed them up for you, try not to move them too much. I'll be up shortly with dinner.
          -Alma

Adeline set the note in the drawer of her nightstand and sat back, looking at the stiff white bandage wrap over her hands. Will this ever heal up?

She leaned back against the headboard of the bed frame and rubbed her eyes with the backs of her hands, trying to get rid of the dizzy feeling in her head. She didn't bother removing her hands when she heard the door open, knowing it was Alma even before she head the clicks of her heels against the floor.

"Does your head hurt?" She asks softly and Adeline removed her hands, dropping the on her stomach. 

"No, just lightheaded." The woman says softly and watched Alma sit the plate down on the bed to help her sit up, handing her a glass of water. 

"Do not drink it fast." Alma says before the glass even reached her lips and Adeline nods, drinking it slowly as Alma looked over her free hand. The woman's hand shook slightly when she tried to sit the drink down on the nightstand, Alma taking it for her when she noticed.

"Sorry, I can't feel my hands." Adeline says softly.

"No need to apologize, it's just from the numbing ointment I put on them. I didn't want the pain to wake you up." Alma explains, sitting the plate of food in her lap when she brought her legs up on the bed, sitting criss crossed in front of the woman. Adeline tried to sit up further but felt a sharp pain in her hands and stopped with a flinch.

"It's alright, I can help you." Alma says gently and Adeline met the woman's eyes, feeling awful for what she said earlier. Her ymbryne was just trying to look after them like she always had. "Dear, what's wrong?" Adeline didn't realize the tears building up in her eyes until Alma gently wiped them away.

"I'm sorry." Adeline says softly as she felt her throat close up and her eyes start to burn as her vision blurred. Alma gently set the food aside on the nightstand before bringing her close in her arms, gently pressing a kiss on the woman's cheek.

"I didn't mean what I said, I'm sorry." Adeline says, her voice cracking and Alma gently pressed a kiss on her forehead, cupping the woman's face in her hands.

"Darling, it's alright. I understand why you were upset, I was just worried." Alma says softly, rubbing her thumb over her cheek. Adeline leaned against her touch, her eyebrows knitted together in pain when she felt her head starting to spin.

"Alma, the rooms tilting." Adeline says quietly and the older woman helped the younger woman lay down, laying down beside her as she gently rubbed her back, moving her hand to the woman's hair. Adeline shut her eyes, ridding herself of the pain in her head as she focused on the feeling of her talons in her hair.

"Please never leave. I don't know what to do without you." Adeline says softly and Alma moved closer to her, casting her gaze over her and then to her lips for a brief moment.

"As long as you promise you won't ever put yourself in danger like that again." Alma says and Adeline hums, laying her head against the woman's chest, making the older woman blush slightly. She leaned down and pressed a gentle kiss on her forehead before hugging her close, her hand still running through her hair.