Chapter 28

Adeline rushed downstairs, excited to start the day now that not even an ache occurred in her hands.

"You seem awfully upbeat for someone who lost a lot of blood yesterday." Adeline glanced over and seen Enoch by the staircase.

"What can I say, I'm just that good." Adeline smiles with a shrug and Emma came out from the parlor, spotting the woman and grinning.

"You seem to be feeling a lot better. Oh! Your hands!" Emma says excited and Adeline smiles. "Can you help us in the garden?"

"Absolutely not. Miss Johnson will not be doing so for a few days."

Adeline looked over and seen their ymbryne coming down the hallway and sending them all a look.

"But Miss P-"

"No." She says simply. "Now the chores will not start themselves, will they Miss Bloom?"

"Sadly not." The girl grumbles and went upstairs. Enoch followed after not wanting to get lectured like the girl and both of them left Adeline alone with the ymbryne.

The woman glanced over at her ymbryne who gazed over her for a moment, deep in thought before snapping herself out of it and looking away. She brought her pipe up to her mouth for a moment and tensed when she felt someone press against her from behind. Adeline smiled as she hugged her tight from behind, satisfied when she felt the woman relax.

"Darling, not right now." Alma says gently and Adeline pulled away, not wanting to do something she was uncomfortable with.

"Sorry." She says softly and the ymbryne glanced at her before gazing around the hallway to be sure they were alone and leaned in to press a soft kiss against her lips. Alma hummed when she looked at the flustered woman and left to go into the kitchen, taking a small puff from her pipe.

"Miss Peregrine?" Adeline asks and the older woman glanced at her.

"When the children aren't around, it's Alma, dear." She says gently. "What is it?"

"Do you still love me?'

Adeline and her both felt the silence thicken as the older woman's eyes met hers. The younger woman glanced at her, her cheeks a slight pink, but kept herself composed in case she got the disappointing answer. Alma watched the woman closely, waiting for her to fill the silence but knew she had to herself. She met the younger woman's eyes once more and motioned for her to come into the kitchen, Adeline obeying as she watched her closely.

"Nevermind. You don't need to answer." Adeline says quietly and took a seat at the small table, surprised when Alma took her hand before she could sit down. The older woman brought her close in her arms, being watchful for the children but relaxing into the warmth of the woman.

"I've always loved you, Adeline. Not once did I stop." She says quietly and Adeline felt her heart rate quicken as the woman pulled away, gently taking her hand and placing a soft kiss on her knuckles. "Just no more doing stupid things that put your life on the line." She scolds softly, the corners of her mouth slightly twitching up as she dropped her hold on the woman's hand.

"I love you." The woman says quietly, Almas gaze snapping back to hers after she went to the counter, Adeline waiting nervously for a response.

"I love you too." Alma replys and Adeline felt her heart skip a beat as she felt a smile go across her lips, Alma returning the smile with a fond look.

"Miss P?" Adeline jumped when she heard a voice by the door way, drawing them both out of their gaze.

"Geez, you're quiet." Adeline mutters and Enoch raised an eyebrow at her before looking back at his ymbryne.