10: Drowning in Rum

"Are you sure that you're okay?" Marcie asked as Tommy stepped off the January.

"I'll be alright." He adjusted the lapel of his coat.

It was amazing he was even able to hold himself upright. But it seemed the trip through the canal was exactly what Tommy needed to get back on his feet.

He surveyed the shipyard and Marcie was relieved to see the blood had cleared from his eye. But that didn't mean she still wasn't worried about his health. Especially since she wasn't entirely sure what they were doing in Camden Town.

"Have I ever told you about my mum?" Tommy asked.

Marcie frowned in confusion. "There's been a lot you haven't told me," she pointed out.

He made a faint noise of recognition and gestured for him to follow her. They began walking toward a large warehouse building. "She absorbed all the chaos in her life. Her no-good husband, poverty, and the Shelby blood in her children," he explained in a calm and measured voice. "She soaked it all up and harbored it inside of her. It poisoned her from the inside." He cleared his throat and dug his hands into his pockets. "She killed herself and all the chaos was unleashed again."

As Tommy recounted the tragic tale, Marcie sensed a faint recognition of some myth that she couldn't recall the name of.

"But Polly says she's still here, keeping her sons from completely giving in to the Shelby curse."

As much as Marcie appreciated his new commitment to being honest with her, the things he was being honest about never had much to do with their situation. She would have preferred he explain what was inside the building they were about to enter. "Why are you telling me this?" She asked in a hushed voice. She had started to notice they were garnering the attention of men working on the docks.

"A good woman can often have a big impact," he replied. "I thought you'd like to keep that in mind." He said and pushed open the large door ahead of them.

Her mind still whirring, she couldn't react before a man impeded their path.

"State your business," the curly-haired man in an apron said curtly.

"I'm here to see Mr. Solomons," Tommy answered but didn't protest when the man began to frisk him.

"Put him down, Ollie!" A loud voice boomed across the warehouse teeming with kegs. "Put him down he's only..." The man barreling toward them in an uneven gait stopped in his tracks. "No, no. Fuck off, I ain't having her in here."

Marcie blinked. She was certain she had never met the man in her life. Surely, she would remember such an imposing figure.

"Mr. Solomons, perhaps we could discuss this..." Tommy tried to explain himself but the man interjected again.

"Mate, if Sabini gets wind that she's here, he's gonna set fire to me bakery just to make a fucking point," he growled.

"We didn't travel through London, we came by the canal. The only people who have seen us arrive, are your men," Tommy replied calmly. "So, if you don't trust your men then I'd say you have bigger issues than Miss Potenza being here."

Mr. Solomons' blue-green eyes narrowed and he studied Marcie. She felt frozen in place, as if the man had a power to render her motionless. "Fucking hell," he grumbled and turned around. "Let's get this over with then. Have no fucking say over who comes into my bloody bakery." The man continued to rant and curse as he led the two further into the warehouse.

Marcie wasn't sure what he was going on about. Clearly, they were standing in a distillery. The fumes of rum were almost too thick to breathe through. But when they passed through the floor and made it to an office area, the smell abated.

"I don't negotiate with women in the room," Mr. Solomons said as he stopped in front of an office door.

Marcie was almost relieved. She wasn't sure she wanted to get to know Mr. Solomons any better than she already had. "I'll stay out here then," she agreed.

Alfie grunted in response and headed into the room. But before Tommy could follow, Marcie touched his arm.

"Your nose is bleeding." She took out a handkerchief. Tommy blinked, perhaps not able to feel the trickle of blood. As he wiped it away, Marcie gave him a concerned look. "Are you sure you know what you're doing?" She whispered.

"I've done my homework," he assured her once again. "Don't go anywhere," he said before stepping into the office and shutting the door.

Marcie wrung her hands together and looked to see Ollie standing by the windows of the office. She cleared her throat. "I'm Marcie," she said politely. She tried to follow Tommy's logic about women. Maybe if she exuded some sort of feminine energy, she would disarm the men and make them think twice about harming her or Tommy.

"I know," Ollie replied. "Sabini's been hell-bent on finding you."

Stifling the shiver that went down her spine, Marcie nervously peered through the window. "And would you say your boss is one of his allies?"

"It depends on the day of the week. Or whatever Sabini has to offer Alfie."

Marcie swallowed hard but she was at least grateful for the man's honesty. "So, I suppose whatever Tommy has to offer will be a better deal."

"That's usually how it works," Ollie confirmed. "Alfie didn't think much about Tommy, not until he shot Billy Kimber."

Marcie took a deep breath. It only proved her fear, Tommy was climbing in the ranks. Which made him a larger target yet a larger protector.

~~~~

Marcie had no way of knowing how the meeting panned out even though she had nearly fainted when she saw Alfie pull out a gun and point it at Tommy's face.

But when both men emerged, unharmed, it seemed that there had been a sort of agreement. Tommy didn't linger, touching Marcie's back to guide her away from Alfie's office. Yet Marcie couldn't help but look behind her. She noticed Alfie watching her yet she couldn't discern what he might have been thinking. She just hoped he was in a mood that made him against Sabini.

Stepping back outside into the gray afternoon, Tommy paused. Marcie opened her mouth to ask him what happened, but he cut her off. Stepping toward her, he cupped her face with his hand and kissed her.

At first, Marcie didn't know how to react. Her breath caught in her throat as she was surprised by his actions. But the fear of allowing herself to fall for Tommy Shelby began to diminish. To her shock, he was far warmer and softer than she ever expected. Instinct pushed her closer to him, testing out the dash of intimacy he gave her.

But all at once, it was over when Tommy pulled away. His blue eyes searched her face and Marcie couldn't find the words to react.

"When I was attacked, that was my greatest fear," he said in a low voice. "Not being able to kiss you."

Marcie's lips parted and she cautiously ran her fingers through his hair. "This is dangerous," she whispered.

"Things with me usually are," he admitted. "None of those men will lay a hand on you, I promise. There'll be consequences if they do."

For a long time, Tommy's threat of violence toward anyone used to put her on edge. But she was starting to see the effect Birmingham had on him. Violence was an expression of loyalty and, dare she even say, love.