Chapter 20

I don't know how long I lay like that, but I woke up to a bright light shining into my eyes. Anyway, I didn't open my eyes like that. Now I was sitting in the car with my seat belt on. Finally, although I opened my eyes very reluctantly, I saw that I was on my way. And the light shining into my eyes is from the headlights of cars passing by in the opposite lane.

The road where the car was traveling, and where I was currently sitting while someone was driving, was completely dark. The light on the road fell only from the headlights of this car. Turning my head to the left, I saw something I never expected to see in my life. And what I saw a long time ago.

"Damon?" I said in a raised voice in surprise.

"Yes," he said in what seemed like a slightly amused voice, but his face showed tension and confusion as to what I was doing in the old Mikaelson house. "One of a kind and unique."

"What are you doing here?" I asked holding my head, which someone hit me before I lost consciousness. The back of my head hurt terribly and my temples were burning. "And where are you taking me?"

"I'm taking you as far away from that devil hole as possible. Mystic Falls," he said looking at the road in front of him.

​I couldn't understand what had happened in Klaus's house when someone pushed me with inhuman strength. I had no recollection of whether someone had taken me out of there or if I somehow managed to escape from there myself. I probably don't remember anything now because my head was hit.

"Did you go to Klaus's house and hit me in the back of the head?" I asked.

"Believe me, you wish it had been me," he stated, glancing at me briefly. "Katherine, can you tell me what you did in that house?"

"I came to celebrate my misfortunes, which started in that very house," I answered sarcastically and coughed. It felt as if something heavy had been placed on my lungs and pressed down so that I could not breathe.

"I'm serious," Damon's voice rose a little and made my ears hurt.

"Don't scream, please," I asked and started massaging the temples with finger pads. 

My head was inhumanly pounding from the impact, I couldn't breathe because of the rising cough. Not only that, but I still felt the agony of Klaus's suffering inside. And I didn't get to see my former home, which Klaus once gave me, where Kevin was once born, at least one last time. In which my happiness once began, which was taken from me, and which I will probably never experience again.

"Do you still live in Mystic Falls?" I asked a probably completely stupid question, but I didn't know what else to say, and that silence probably annoyed me like this for the first time in my life. And maybe Damon was exactly the person I wanted to talk to the most all this time, but I only realized it now.

"No, I live in Los Angeles right now," he replied. "You know, the sun is shining... I left Mystic Falls the second Bonnie called to say that she had managed to overcome Tatia's spell that imprisoned us in this ill-fated town."

Even though the phrase "You know, the sun is shining..." sounded very sweet and cheerful from Damon, I felt sarcasm in his voice. He was obviously more concerned about me at the moment. I was just wondering why I was so suddenly for him.

"You're having fun there," I said and barely smiled. "How is Meah?"

Damon was silent for a while, a shadow now passing over his face and he blinked a few times.

"I lost her, Katherine," he said quietly and glanced briefly at me again.

"How did you lose her?"

"Very simply. She is gone."